Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Could someone help me reformulate this pretty complex sentence?It’s taken from a book on Italian clitics. I know there are two Italian words in the sentence and I hope this does not break the forum rules.
“The non referential ci that occurs in volerci is the marker of an implicit resultative (rather than locative) goal argument of a two-argument unaccusative predicate”.

Thank you very much.
WW

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could replace is the marker of with marks.

(PS Italian's fine)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could someone help me reformulate this pretty complex sentence?It’s taken from a book on Italian clitics. I know there are two Italian words in the sentence and I hope this does not break the forum rules.
“The non referential ci that occurs in volerci is the marker of an implicit resultative (rather than locative) goal argument of a two-argument unaccusative predicate”.

Thank you very much.
WW
I'd hyphenate non-referential, not underline rather than, and consider using non-accusative in place of unaccusative.

Walt Whitman

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi Tdol.

As a matter of fact, the "is the marker of" part is not the only one which makes the sentence rather difficult for me to understand. How could you rephrase "resultative goal argument" and "a two-argument unaccusative predicate"?
I guess "resultative", "argument" and "unaccusative" are words that are specific to linguistics.
Thank you.
WW

PS. Hi 5jj and thank you. But please see above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.