Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Scotland
Hi,

Would anyone like to analyse/diagram the following sentences please?

It was in Burma, a sodden morning of the rains

and

But he stood quite unresisting, yielding his arms limply to the ropes, as though he hardly noticed what was happening.

I'm a newbie to this analysis lark and these 2 are flummoxing me to say the least. (I've managed some simpler forms and am not being lazy- just a bit dim!:oops:)

Thank you

Pootle:-D

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[QUOTE

But he stood quite unresisting, yielding his arms limply to the ropes, as though he hardly noticed what was happening.

[/QUOTE]

1. Some books tell us that if "but" starts the sentence, it is an absolute element. That is, it has no grammatical relation to the sentence. It is there for rhetorical purposes. In plain English, ignore it. In Reed-Kellogg, just write it on a horizontal line and place that horizontal line above the sentence.

2. So now we have:

He stood quite unresisting, yielding his arms to the ropes, as though he hardly noticed what was happening.

3. Now for easier parsing, let's rearrange the parts:

He, yielding his arms to the ropes, stood quite unresisting, as though he hardly noticed what was happening.

a. In my opinion only:

i. "yielding his arms to the ropes" is a participial phrase modifying "He."

ii. "He stood quite unresisting" is the main sentence.

(a) He = subject.
(b) stood = linking verb.
(c) unresisting = complement of "he."
(d) quite = modifies " unresisting."

iii. The subordinate clause is: as though/ as if he hardly noticed what was happening.

(a) The clause modifies the verb "stood."
(b) The clause is "he hardly noticed what was happening."
(c) The conjunction "as though" connects "he hardly noticed what was happening" to "stood."

I am computer illiterate. So I am unable to post a diagram in my post. Hopefully, someone will soon do so for us.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The "Burma" part doesn't look to me like a complete sentence -- unless it is in reply to "Where was it?"

Perhaps the punctuation is puzzling me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The "Burma" part doesn't look to me like a complete sentence -- unless it is in reply to "Where was it?"
It would seem to me natural enough in a context such as this:

I saw an elephant swimming once. It was in Burma, a sodden morning of the rains.

Here, the antecedent of 'it' is the seeing of the elephant, not just the elephant.

pootle

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Scotland
It would seem to me natural enough in a context such as this:

I saw an elephant swimming once. It was in Burma, a sodden morning of the rains.

Here, the antecedent of 'it' is the seeing of the elephant, not just the elephant.

Hi, apologies I missed off the full stop. This particular sentence is actually the very beginning of 'The Hanging' by George Orwell so the 'it' refers to the location of the story/ the day the hanging occurred. Though it could just as well apply to a sighting of an elephant :)

Many thanks to the Parser for your brilliant analysis of the other sentence. Much appreciated. :up:
Pootle

pootle

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Scotland
Any ideas about the 1st sentence guys?

It was in Burma, a sodden morning of the rains.

Am I right in thinking this is coordination, the comma acting as an 'and'?

This is what I have so far....

It - the subject of the clause
Was - the main verb- auxiliary
Burma- noun – adverbial phrase modifier of It- telling us where ‘It’ was (in- preposition and Burma, a geographic noun.
A sodden morning of the rains- coordinated clause- noun phrase- appositive of It (subject of the clause) Morning is the noun, ‘a sodden’ is a premodifier- a is indefinite article and sodden is modifying adjective.
Of the rains- a postmodifier of the noun phrase ‘a sodden morning’

Is this correct please?
pootle

pootle

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Scotland

This is what I have so far....

It - the subject of the clause
Burma- noun – adverbial phrase modifier of It- telling us where ‘It’ was (in- preposition and Burma, a geographic noun.
A sodden morning of the rains- coordinated clause- noun phrase- appositive of It (subject of the clause) Morning is the noun, ‘a sodden’ is a premodifier- a is indefinite article and sodden is modifying adjective.
Of the rains- a postmodifier of the noun phrase ‘a sodden morning’

Is this correct please?
pootle

Oh, just realised- if there is apposition then they cannot be coordinated clauses. Which do you think this is? Apposition or coordination? Oh, I'm confused :oops:
Thanks

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I went to Google and read the first few lines of Mr. Orwell's short story A Hanging.

I can parse the first sentence only in one way. If someone shows me that I am wrong, I will delete this post.

It [the hanging. Remember the title of the short story is "A Hanging." The first word of the story is "it." So can we

reasonably conclude that the "it" refers to the hanging?] was [this is not a linking verb. It is a full verb. That is, it

actually means "occurred"] in Burma, on [I presume that Mr. Orwell deleted the preposition for stylistic reasons. An

ordinary person like me would have used the "on" ; Mr. Orwell's deletion makes for a more dramatic reading] a sodden

morning of the rains.

It (the hanging) = subject.

was (occurred) = verb.

in Burma = prepositional phrase. Answers: Where did it (the hanging) occur?

[on] a sodden morning of the rains. = prepositional phrase that answers: When did it occur?

on = preposition (understood)
a = adjective/determiner
sodden = adjective
morning = noun
of = preposition
the =adjective/determiner
rains = noun ("of the rains" modifies "morning.")

pootle

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Scotland
Thank you Parser. I feel able to tackle the rest of the piece knowing I have the 1st sentence in hand! :)

GingerJoe

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Italy
"It was in Burma, a sodden morning of the rains"

In 'modern English',I would have written it as follows...
"It was a damp, rainy morning in Burma."

Writers, such as Bram Stoker, used bizarre sentence constructions, when compared to their contemporaries. Please do not be put off by this use of the language. I think it is just the 'old-fashioned' way.

pootle

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Scotland
Thank you. I quite agree!

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
One or two errors:

No. If the comma could meaningfully be said to 'replace' anything, it would be the ellipted preposition (on).

Not auxiliary, but COPULAR . (It would be an auxiliary in e.g. It was raining...)

Burma- noun – adverbial phrase modifier of It-
Not a modifier of any kind, but the object of the implied preposition.

A sodden morning of the rains- coordinated clause- noun phrase- appositive of It (subject of the clause)
Not a clause of any kind, since it lacks a verb! It is a simple noun phrase.

There's no apposition here either. The subject 'it' is expletive, not anticipatory.

Katherine99

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
United States
[QUOTE

1. Some books tell us that if "but" starts the sentence, it is an absolute element. That is, it has no grammatical relation to the sentence. It is there for rhetorical purposes. In plain English, ignore it. In Reed-Kellogg, just write it on a horizontal line and place that horizontal line above the sentence.

2. So now we have:

He stood quite unresisting, yielding his arms to the ropes, as though he hardly noticed what was happening.

3. Now for easier parsing, let's rearrange the parts:

He, yielding his arms to the ropes, stood quite unresisting, as though he hardly noticed what was happening.

a. In my opinion only:

i. "yielding his arms to the ropes" is a participial phrase modifying "He."

ii. "He stood quite unresisting" is the main sentence.

(a) He = subject.
(b) stood = linking verb.
(c) unresisting = complement of "he."
(d) quite = modifies " unresisting."

iii. The subordinate clause is: as though/ as if he hardly noticed what was happening.

(a) The clause modifies the verb "stood."
(b) The clause is "he hardly noticed what was happening."
(c) The conjunction "as though" connects "he hardly noticed what was happening" to "stood."

I am computer illiterate. So I am unable to post a diagram in my post. Hopefully, someone will soon do so for us.[/QUOTE]

Hi Parser,

Is this the correct diagram for the sentence.

UG1.jpg

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Of course, we will have to wait for Mr. Antonson's confirmation, but in my (very!) humble opinion, your diagram is
spot-on! Congratulations! (How sad that 99% of today's students do not know about Reed-Kellogg!)

They are not important, but there are four teeny-weeny points that attracted my attention:

a. Some people would not use dotted lines to connect "but" to the rest of the sentence.
b. You accidentally forgot the left slanting line after "stood."
c. Some books feel that the phrasal conjunction "as though" should be put on this kind of line: _____ ..... _____
d. Some books have a more complicated way to diagram "what was happening." But other books feel that the way you diagrammed it is fine.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.