Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Abaka slightly touched on this question in one of the previous posts. So if I'm a spectator I would findmyself at the concert. But I go to hear a musician in concert. What about the following sentence " Student performers should sit in the audience when they are not performing in the concert."? What's the difference between "in concert" and "in the concert"?

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Abaka slightly touched on this question in one of the previous posts. So if I'm a spectator I would findmyself at the concert. But I go hera a musician in concert. What about the following sentence " Student performers should sit in the audience when they are not performing in the concert."? What's the difference between "in concert" and "in the concert"?

In the context you presented, "in the concert" would suggest that if one or more of the student performers were not participating in the concert at that moment, he/she/they should sit with the audience. Whereas, the use of "in concert" could suggest that if any of the performers were not participating as a group i.e. not as an individual, they should sit with the audience. However, I think the use of "in the concert" would, in the context you presented, include both situations and the performers would understand the instruction.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
So I should say "I'm going to go hear them in concert." but "I'm going to go hear him in the concert."? If I said "I'm going to go hear him in concert.", would it be a mistake?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
So I should say "I'm going to go hear them in concert." but "I'm going to go hear him in the concert."? If I said "I'm going to go hear him in concert.", would it be a mistake?

"I am going to hear him in concert" is common enough.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
So there would not be any difference between "I..........in concert." and "I...........in the concert."?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
So there would not be any difference between "I..........in concert." and "I...........in the concert."?

If he is a solo performer you can "hear him in concert", this is commonly used. If he is taking part in a concert with others, you can "hear him in the concert".

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What about this "I went to hear them in concert."? In this sentence "them" would be refered to as a band (single performer)?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I'm not sure where this thread is going, but in AmE you would typically hear "I am going to hear him/her/them in 'a' (or 'the') concert i.e. a musicalperformance and always with an article. To use concert without an article would be to use concert meaning together/in agreement and not to mean a performance. "The council was in concert on the plan to improve the neighborhood."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Here's the definition from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary and it only gives "in concert" not "in the concert". As opposed to what bhaishab said in post #6 it refers to many performers not a solo performer. "
2 : performing at a concert
▪ I went to hear them in concert. [=in a public performance]

Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

"They're in concert at Madison Square Garden."

concert - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced American Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
As opposed to what bhaishab said in post #6 it refers to many performers not a solo performer. "

I'm not sure if you are deliberately misinterpreting what I said but, for clarity, below is my understanding of the question.
"I saw him in concert." One solo performer.
"I saw them in concert." A group or ensemble of performers.
"I saw him in the concert." One solo performer performing for part of a concert which involved other solo or group performances.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And that's my experience in American use too.

I saw him in concert - I saw him in a live musical performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.