Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. eric2004
    I was told that these expensive ones are a way of exploiting the 'face' system in China. If you give a really expensive box of mooncakes to someone, it earns you great respect in the future.
    When you came to China? you have actually known about chinese things la.

• Post Thanks / Like
    I came to China in the spring of 2001. Since then, I've only been back to my hometown in the UK once, but I plan to go back again next year!

By the way, You might want to say 'When did you come to China?', and 'You know a lot about Chinese customs and cultures'.

I hope you don't mind my little corrections. :)

2. eric2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shane
    I came to China in the spring of 2001. Since then, I've only been back to my hometown in the UK once, but I plan to go back again next year!

By the way, You might want to say 'When did you come to China?', and 'You know a lot about Chinese customs and cultures'.

I hope you don't mind my little corrections. :)

Shoot, you're too nice, of course I won't mind your corrections. Instead,
    I'm really grateful to see anyone can pick on my English.
    Do you mind if i ask where you are now? If you are in GuangZhou, you are certain to hear about LiYang, right? He said a golden rule----Enjoy losing "face" .
    Btw, is it formal to write "face" system of China in essay?

• Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Dalian right now, and I don't plan to move anywhere else, if the truth be told. I love it here! :D

As for Li Yang and his Crazy English - I think he has done a lot of good in boosting students' confidence when it comes to speaking English!

Btw, is it formal to write "face" system of China in essay?
    That's a good question. I don't think 'face' would be the right term, but for the life of me I can't think what term would be more suitable! Maybe someone else here can come along with a solution... ;)

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eric2004
    fancy is meaning "favorite"?
    xixi, i refer to its expensive price. $40 .wow.
    i never tasted this kind of cakes
    Well, luxorious isn't usually applied to food. But a food can be fancy. That might mean, for example, that it is decorated especially nicely. I would certainly regard a $40 cake as fancy. That would be without even looking at it. In that case, the word would refer to the price as much as anything. Presumably, a plain cake would not cost $40. (I would hope not.)

:D

4. eric2004
    Sir shane, are you in Da Lian Science and Industry University? I don't know how to express this speciality of chinese. I thought the meaning of "face" in China has been accepted by native english people. It seems that i go wrong.
    Btw, you aren't an examiner of Ielts, are you? 555, If you were, I must be a lucky dog. xixi.

Sir RonBee, thanks for your help again. Sigh, it is so pity i come here so late. I have to face up to my test right away. And I'm really not sure my english writing. I didn't have any experience to chat with foreigners before. Just a Chinese-American girl has been give me a hand. But she has to do her own work for she's still a college student.
    Whatever, nice to see all your guys. (i don't know whether "guy" is offensive. I only wanna express my impression for you. And don't mind what i say , because i'm poor about exotic cultural background.
    As for mooncake. xixi. sorry you're wrong. Sir shane is right. it is just a face system in china. It does not mean if its price is high, it must be delicious. it is more likely to be a present for others.
    Thanks for your consideration.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like
    Sir shane, are you in Da Lian Science and Industry University? I don't know how to express this speciality of chinese. I thought the meaning of "face" in China has been accepted by native english people. It seems that i go wrong.
    Btw, you aren't an examiner of Ielts, are you? 555, If you were, I must be a lucky dog. xixi.
    I think most of us know what is meant by face. Shane teaches ESL in China. I don't think he is an IELTS examiner. By the way, what does IELTS stand for?

Sir RonBee, thanks for your help again. Sigh, it is so pity i come here so late. I have to face up to my test right away. And I'm really not sure my english writing. I didn't have any experience to chat with foreigners before. Just a Chinese-American girl has been give me a hand. But she has to do her own work for she's still a college student.
    Whatever, nice to see all your guys. (i don't know whether "guy" is offensive. I only wanna express my impression for you. And don't mind what i say , because i'm poor about exotic cultural background.
    As for mooncake. xixi. sorry you're wrong. Sir shane is right. it is just a face system in china. It does not mean if its price is high, it must be delicious. it is more likely to be a present for others.
    Thanks for your consideration.
    No, guy is not considered an offensive term by most people.

I have never had any mooncake, but I saw a picture of it, and it looks good. :D

6. jwschang
    Quote Originally Posted by shane
    Yes, I have been told the story behind this particular festival. What was the girl's name again? I've forgotten!
    Are you talking about the girl and the rabbit on the moon? Her name is Cang Er (Cang for frequent).
    But we have a different story here in Nanyang. It says in an uprising against the Qing dysnasty, the rebels circulated a secret paper message inside the mooncakes. :wink:

• Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwschang
    But we have a different story here in Nanyang. It says in an uprising against the Qing dysnasty, the rebels circulated a secret paper message inside the mooncakes. :wink:
    Cool, I've never heard that story before! I'll ask around, and see if anyone else here knows that story... :)

• Post Thanks / Like
    Sir shane, are you in Da Lian Science and Industry University? I don't know how to express this speciality of chinese.
    I would say 'Dalian University of Science and Industry'.

No, I'm not an IELTS examiner, but I have taught IELTS (oral module) before. I taught it here for just over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    By the way, what does IELTS stand for?
    International English Language Testing System. ;)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast