Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. david11's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 588
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    a age between or the age between

    Those who acted as his sons were actually younger than him only by the age between 6 and 16.

    What article should come before the word age? Is the correct?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,083
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: a age between or the age between

    Quote Originally Posted by david11 View Post
    Those who acted as his sons were actually younger than him only by the age between 6 and 16.

    What article should come before the word age? Is the correct?
    The sentence doesn't make sense.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,373
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: a age between or the age between

    One is not younger than another by "age," but by "years." The actors playing his sons were only 6-16 years younger than him.

  3. david11's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 588
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: a age between or the age between

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    One is not younger than another by "age," but by "years." The actors playing his sons were only 6-16 years younger than him.
    That is where I would have made the mistake.

    I heard that sentence. So, I would probably have misplaced years with age.

    Can't we say, then, "The actors playing his sons were younger than him only by the years between 6 and 16 ."?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,373
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: a age between or the age between

    Quote Originally Posted by david11 View Post
    That is where I would have made the mistake.

    I heard that sentence. So, I would probably have misplaced years with age.

    Can't we say, then, "The actors playing his sons were only younger by the years between 6 and 16 than him."?
    No. If you must re-write the sentence I've already given you, then "...were only younger than him by between 6 and 16 years."

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] When you were my age?
    By Isabel77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2011, 23:13
  2. age
    By tara in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2008, 11:47
  3. Meanings of "age-bent" or "blind & age bent"?
    By gonghoujun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Jan-2008, 15:41
  4. take me age
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2007, 22:12
  5. age
    By mayumi_kaligatan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-May-2007, 10:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •