Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I noticed that "screw up" is being used in different occasions and i find it a little confusing sometimes, may i ask for some help to enlighten me regarding it's proper use. thank you in advance

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To screw something up means to make mistakes so that it doesn't turn out as intended.
A screw up is a person who constantly makes those types of mistakes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have noticed that "screw up" is being used in different [STRIKE]occasions[/STRIKE] ways and I find it a little confusing sometimes. May I ask for some help to enlighten me regarding [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] its proper use? Thank you in advance.

You can also "screw up" a piece of paper. This will be the result:

2_www.foldingstory.com-blog.jpg

You can also screw something up for someone. That means that you take action on purpose to make sure that something goes wrong for them. "They're getting married on Saturday but I'm going to go to the church and tell everyone that he is already married to someone else. That'll screw it up for them!"

Natalie1991

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It means to make a mistake. "I screwed up" is a common saying. A person can also say "I messed up" and it means the same thing. Also, you can call a person a screw up as an insult. You are calling them a mistake, or that something did not go right with them and they are stupid, ect.. What types of situations are you finding it in that makes it confusing? We can help you more if you elaborate.

mgunde01

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
South Korea
To add to the previously mentioned meanings, "screwed up" can also refer to something that has been damaged or destroyed. "The house got screwed up during the storm."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
To add to the previously mentioned meanings, "screwed up" can also refer to something that has been damaged or destroyed. "The house got screwed up during the storm."
That would sound strange in BrE.

Status
Not open for further replies.