• Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Does this sentence makes any sense?

Does this sentence make any sense?
    "...Also, when I suggested to my parents about nursing as a backup career; they were hesitant and they mentioned that nurse are usually for women and for homosexual and they told me to take another profession. I felt discourage; and I realized that the pressure of becoming a dentist is to provide for my family along with maintaining my masculinity in order to fit into society "

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does this sentence makes any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Kakashiprince View Post
    Does this sentence make any sense?
    "...Also, when I suggested to my parents about nursing as a backup career, they were hesitant and they mentioned that nursing was usually for women and for homosexuals and they told me to take choose another profession. I felt discouraged, and I realized [that the pressure of becoming a dentist is to provide for my family along with maintaining my masculinity in order to fit into society] "
    The first past makes sense, with those corrections. Your parents' belief that nursing is for homosexuals is rather strange (unless it's actually true in Vietnam; I'm sure it's not in Canada).
    The last part in square brackets doesn't make any sense. It's a non sequitur. You weren't talking about dentists.

Kakashiprince is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry when i say homosexuals...i mean ...if a man goes into nursing people assuming he is gay.

For the second sentence, i meant to say.... dentist is my primary career since it is a stable job that can help my family as well as securing my masculinity in order to fit into society.

"Also, when I suggested to my parents about nursing as a backup career, they were hesitant and they mentioned that nursing was usually for women and if I was to go into this profession people will assume that I am gay. I felt discouraged because in our society "pink-colour" jobs are considered weak and downgrading in a male dominant world; however, male nurses are paid more because they are in demand in hospitals."

Does it make sense now?
    Last edited by Kakashiprince; 12-Jul-2012 at 05:00.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry when i say homosexuals...i mean ...if a man goes into nursing people assuming he is gay.
    I know that. That's why I asked whether it was true that in Vietnam, male nurses are usually homosexuals. My point is that it's a strange assumption, and I was wondering where it was coming from.

For the second sentence, i meant to say.... dentist is my primary career since it is a stable job that can help my family as well as securing my masculinity in order to fit into society.
    Some dentists are homosexual as well, so dentistry is not a fail safe choice if this is really one of the main determinants of your job choice. Now that you're in Canada, have you considered becoming a lumberjack?
    Try not to use strings of dots ( .....). They aren't a proper punctuation n English unless you use them properly (See ellipsis).
    Also, capitalise 'i'

Kakashiprince is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I didn't want to sound "homophobic", I meant to say:

""Also, when I suggested to my parents about nursing as a backup career, they were hesitant and they mentioned that nursing was usually for women and if I was to go into this profession people will assume that I am gay. I felt discouraged because in our society "pink-colour" jobs are considered weak and downgrading in a male dominant world; however, male nurses are paid more because they are in demand in hospitals."

Does it make sense now?
    Last edited by 5jj; 12-Jul-2012 at 07:24. Reason: Thread closed at OP's request

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I didn't want to sound "homophobic", I meant to say:

"Also, when I suggested to my parents about nursing as a backup career, they were hesitant and they mentioned that nursing was usually for women and if I was to go into this profession people will assume that I am gay. I felt discouraged because in our society "pink-colour" jobs are considered weak and downgrading in a male dominant world. However, male nurses are paid more because they are in demand in hospitals."

Does it make sense now?
    That's a much better sentence, in all respects.