[Vocabulary] What book should I read and where can I get them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triet96

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I'm attending a major English class in my school. I found out they use many many collocations as well as phrases, both of which I am not quite good at. I'm trying to improve it. But the word forms exercises have proven that I need to try much much harder! This morning, my teacher gave us some word forms handouts and it was way over my head! For examples:
-Some people believe that the family is the {blank} of society (rock)
the answer was "bedrock"
-Scientists designing the first {blank} mission are weighing which star would be the first destination in the series (star)
the answer was "interstellar"
-{blank}products are often given away at good discounts (shop)
the answer: "shopworn"/"shop-soiled"
-The name of the album Fourth from the last by the W's is derived from the fact that the letter W is the {blank} letter in the Latin alphabet
-the answer: "preantipernultimate"
These are quoted from my handout. I believe this handout was part of a book, however, I don't know which book it is.
Please, if someone knows anything about how to deal with word form exercises or how to get yourself loaded with such an amount of word forms, or which book I should read, ...anything, just tell me.
I'm always appreciated your answers whatever they are.
One last thing, I want to know if those I've quoted are just at normal level? Should students from foreign country be able to deal with these easily? I need to know if I am below the average or not.
Thank you so much

nowhereue

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
<Not a teacher>

You may check out Norman Lewis' 'Word Power Made Easy'. In each chapter, he takes 15/16 related words (e.g. first chapter is about relationship, 2nd chapter is about feelings, 3rd is about psychology etc.), and he will discuss the various usages and also the sources of the words stressing upon the etymology.

I am from India, not a native english speaker. And this book helped me in my college days - when you dont know meaning of a word, you can break the word etymologically and extract the meaning.

About your specific issue, I guess you have to read a lot. If you a read a lot, usages are formed in your mind automatically.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
, I want to know if those I've quoted are just at normal level? Should students from foreign country be able to deal with these easily? I need to know if I am below the average or not.
Thank you so much
Most of the words are not uncommon, but that exercise would be quite difficult for many native speakers.

'preantipe[STRIKE]r[/STRIKE]nultimate' is a word that only a tiny minority of native speakers would use. I would guess that fewer than 10% would even understand it.

triet96

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you for your replies! As usual, I get your replies not so long after my questions have been posted. This is what made me stick with this forum at the first time. I always get helpful information in such a short time. Thanks again.
About the book which "nowhereue" recommended, I'm looking for it, thanks. I hope to learn much from the book, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.