Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
"Welcome" has different pronunciations in British English and American English

Hi All,

Do you think "Welcome" has different pronunciations in British English and American English even the IPA are also [FONT=&quot]/ [/FONT]ˈwelkəm [FONT=&quot]/ ?

EngFan
[/FONT]

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Re: "Welcome" has different pronunciations in British English and American English

Hello, EngFan.:-D
Well, I don't think so. They sound pretty much the same to me.
What makes you think so?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: "Welcome" has different pronunciations in British English and American English

I don't think it has any more of a different pronunciation than any other word in AmE vs BrE. The only aspect of it I would say is a little different is that perhaps the initial "e" sound is more elongated in AmE (more clipped in BrE) but I don't think that's necessarily the case in all parts of the USA.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina

Sometimes I hear Americans say "Welgum", but not for British ppl.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Sometimes I hear Americans say "Welgum", but not [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] British people.

I think that you will hear many regional variations on many words between AmE speakers from different parts of the US, and the same regional variations amongst people from all over the UK. I have been trying to say "Welcome" in an American accent (various different American accents!) in my head and I can't say I've come up with one that sounds like "Welgum".

On a side note, please remember to use full English words, not text/internet abbreviations on the site ("people", not "ppl").

Status
Not open for further replies.