Half-brother, half-sister, ergo... half-daughter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Perhaps we all immediately realised that he had a half-brother. :cool:

Hi all,

5jj posted this reply in the "brothers or siblings?" (sic) thread.

My mind immediately asked: if mywife has a girl which was born from a previous marriage, what is the girl to me? A half-daughter? I have not legally adopted her yet, so I don't think "step-daughter" fits in here.

The question is merely linguistic, though. For all it's worth, she calls me "dad" (sometimes in English, too :lilangel:), and I consider her my daughter.

Thank you.

charliedeut

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
When you marry, any children become step-sons/daughters. I don't think there's any need for a formal adoption to call them this.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In fact, in the US you would NOT legally adopt the child if the father was still alive, unless the father agreed to surrender all parental rights. This is not common.

Once you do adopt a child, he or she is your son or daughter, NOT a step-child.

Your spouse's children are your step-children, but socially you don't have to get so specific.

My husband refers to my children as his daughters in most cases. Only if it's something like explaining that they are spending the week with my ex-husband does he bother clarifying that they are steps.

If you have a chlid and your spouse has a child, they are step-brothers (using males for simplicity).
If you have a child and then your new spouse and you have a child together, they are half-brothers.
If you have a child, your spouse has a child, and then you have a child together, the first two each have a step-brother and a half-brother. The new child has two half-brothers.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Your spouse's children are your step-children, but socially you don't have to get so specific.

I usually don't: good friends already know, so there's no need to mention it every time; acquaintances and strangers needn't know. She's my daughter, and I'm her dad, full stop.

That's why I said in the first post that the question was just related to the way they are called.

charliedeut

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As far as I am aware, she would be your stepdaughter until you adopt her. After that, she would legally be your daughter though you might choose to refer to her as your adopted daughter.

My cousin was in that very situation. His mother (my aunt) remarried when my cousin was 10 but my aunt's new husband never legally adopted my cousin. My cousin chose to call him "Dad" and my uncle referred to my cousin as "my son" but technically neither of those were ever true. They were stepfather and stepson.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi all and thank you.

It's a pity there's no other "better-sounding" term for the poor kids!

charliedeut

PS: However, the Spanish equivalents sound much much much worse!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all and thank you.

It's a pity there's no other "better-sounding" term for the poor kids!

charliedeut

PS: However, the Spanish equivalents sound much much much worse!

Wow, I just looked up the Spanish word for stepfather! :shock:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Agreed. Strangers don't need to know and friends already do. It's only on forms and such that you might need to be specfic.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I agree with everyone else. Where I live, it's OK to call the daughter of your spouse a "stepdaughter" (or stiefdochter as it's called in Dutch) even if you haven't legally adopter her.

A half-daughter?

I have never heard of a "half-daughter" (and I can't imagine how you can have a "half-daughter", she is your daughter or she isn't ;-)), though to me that implies that you and your daughter are related. However, you and your stepdaughter do not share any genes*. Half-siblings share on average 25% of their genes.

*Scientfically speaking this isn't exactly true, I said it for the sake of simplicity.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To clarify, there is no term "half-daughter" or "half-son."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:. Note that the suggested term 'half-daughter' makes no genetic sense - it can't be done. Children that share one parent are half-brothers/sisters; half* their genes are the same. I suppose you could crefer to a man's niece as his 'quarter*-daughter' - we just don't. ;-)

b

PS * This was wrong; I was forgetting my Mendelian peas (let alone qs). I guess my 'quarter-daughter' should have been 'eighth-'. Biology was never my Thing. ;-)

Last edited:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Children that share one parent are half-brothers/sisters; half their genes are the same.

Full siblings share on average 50% of their genes with each other, half-siblings share only 25% on average.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.