Do I have problem to pronounce the following words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmp_khauff

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Panama
Current Location
Panama
What can I do to pronounce these words correctly? Are these words contain same phonetics alphabet that could be my problem? Which one?

cable
loose
glued
loves
tomorrow
pair
mall
only
miles
will
sales
good
tip
used
written
were
able
was
difficult
abacus
banner
avocados
backgammon
bagel
baseball glove
balloon
bananas

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What can I do to pronounce these words correctly? Are these words contain same phonetics alphabet that could be my problem? Which one?

Hmp_khauff, your question is impossible to answer. How can anyone here know what causes you trouble in these words?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some of those words have phonetic 'traps'. So do thousands of others. I'll take just 3 as examples:

loose [/lu;s/] but 'choose' [/ʧu:z] - further complicated by 'lose' [/lu:z/] verses 'close' [/klǝʊ/ + /s/ or /z/, depending on meaning.

banana - easy for a Spanish speaker to recognize (as it's a Latin American borrowing); but for the same reason easy for a Spanish speaker to over-pronounce - the Engliah has two schwas.

love (with the pron. /ʌ/) unlike 'clove' (with the pron. /ǝʊ/) or 'move' (with the pron. /u:/). And 'move' doesn't have the 'clove' pronunciation /ǝʊ/ - that would be 'mauve'.

Almost any word can have a web of similar false friends and concealed traps - there's no point in just focussing on a few. Read, listen, talk, reflect, communicate as much as you can - your English will improve.

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some of those words have phonetic 'traps'. So do thousands of others. I'll take just 3 as examples:

loose [/lu;s/] but 'choose' [/ʧu:z] - further complicated by 'lose' [/lu:z/] versus 'chose' [/ʧǝʊz] (never mind 'close' [/klǝʊ/ + /s/ or /z/, depending on meaning].

banana - easy for a Spanish speaker to recognize (as it's a Latin American borrowing); but for the same reason easy for a Spanish speaker to over-pronounce - the Engliah has two schwas.

love (with the pron. /ʌ/) unlike 'clove' (with the pron. /ǝʊ/) or 'move' (with the pron. /u:/). And 'move' doesn't have the 'clove' pronunciation /ǝʊ/ - that would be 'mauve'... ;-)

Almost any word can have a web of similar false friends and concealed traps - there's no point in just focussing on a few. Read, listen, talk, reflect, communicate as much as you can - your English will improve.

b

Last edited:

santimarti

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The best thing you can do if you are not going to a school is finding the phonetic representation of every word on a dictionary and learning about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.