Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Hi All,

When we pronounce "Speak", Stamp", "Sky, can we sound the p, t, and k aspirated after "s" ?

EngFan

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Not a teacher, but a fellow learner

I don't understand what you mean by "aspirate", but I surely know that "p", "t", and "k" after "s", change into tense consonants. Those sound different from their normal sounds.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi All,

When we pronounce "Speak", Stamp", "Sky, can we sound the p, t, and k aspirated after "s" ?

EngFan
No, you don't aspirate those unvoiced plosives after an /s/.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher, but a fellow learner

I don't understand what you mean by "aspirate", but I surely know that "p", "t", and "k" after "s", change into tense consonants. Those sound different from their normal sounds.

The tenseness of a sound is a very vague notion. It describes different phenomena in different languages. What aspiration is, on the other hand, is quite clear. You can learn what the word means from this page.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
I was wondering if any native speakers would aspirate those unvoiced plosives after an /s/? I hear some non-native speakers sometimes would aspirate those unvoiced plosives after an /s/, as you are native speaker, would you consider this is a wrong way in pronunciation?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was wondering if any native speakers would aspirate those unvoiced plosives after an /s/? I hear some non-native speakers sometimes would aspirate those unvoiced plosives after an /s/, as you are native speaker, would you consider this is a wrong way in pronunciation?
I doubt if a native speaker could; you learn not to in the course of becoming a native speaker. ;-) (I would find it very difficult to do; and while I can hear something odd when others do it, my ability to identify it lasted only a year or two.*)

To see the effect of aspiration (a little puff of air) hold a piece of tissue in front of your mouth and see what happens when you say 'pin' as opposed to what happens when you say 'spin'

b

PS * In another thread I mentioned Audrey Hepburn - who because of her Dutch roots had some sort of strange behaviour about aspirating her voiceless stops. Most people think her voice has a certain je ne sais quoi, but not many would say she had a foreign accent.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
I doubt if a native speaker could; you learn not to in the course of becoming a native speaker. ;-) (I would find it very difficult to do; and while I can hear something odd when others do it, my ability to identify it lasted only a year or two.*)

To see the effect of aspiration (a little puff of air) hold a piece of tissue in front of your mouth and see what happens when you say 'pin' as opposed to what happens when you say 'spin'

b

PS * In another thread I mentioned Audrey Hepburn - who because of her Dutch roots had some sort of strange behaviour about aspirating her voiceless stops. Most people think her voice has a certain je ne sais quoi, but not many would say she had a foreign accent.

As you are native speaker, would you consider people say Speak, Spoon, Discover, Straw, Skin are same as to say Sbeak, Sboon, Disgover, Sdraw, Sgin?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If native speakers were to produce the non-words Sbeak, Sboon, Sdraw, Sgin, they would sound like Speak, Spoon, Straw, Skin. Disgover might well be uttered with a /g/ sound, as there might be a marginal break affter 'dis', perceived as a prefix.

Status
Not open for further replies.