We roll a carpet and we spread it on the floor. What to use in place of spread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naeem PTC

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hi teachers,

1) We roll a carpet and we spread it on the floor. What to use in place of spread? I think it's wrong, I just wrote to make myself understood.

2) If an edge of the carpet or in the middle is not spread correct. It has bends. Is it correct to say? Spread it straight or make it straight.

Many thanks in advance.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi teachers,

1) We roll a carpet and we spread it on the floor. What to use in place of spread? I think it's wrong, I just wrote to make myself understood.

2) If an edge of the carpet or in the middle is not spread correct. It has bends. Is it correct to say? Spread it straight or make it straight.

Many thanks in advance.

We unroll a carpet and lay it on the floor.

Naeem PTC

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Thank you, bhaisahab,
I asked him to unroll the carpet and lay it straight. Is it correct? If it is not laid straight. How to ask somebody to lay it straight?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I asked him to unroll the carpet and lay it straight. Is it correct? If it is not laid straight. How to ask somebody to lay it straight?

If by "straight" you mean that you want the carpet's edges to be parallel with the wall, for example, then "lay it straight" is OK. If you mean that the carpet has rolls, creases and lumps that you want to get rid of, then you would want it to be "laid flat".

not a teacher

Naeem PTC

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Thank you, JMurray.
Lay it flat. Or Make it flat. If it's already rolled and has crease, then I can say? "Make it flat."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you wanted it cut to the exact shape of the room and permanently fixed to the floor, you would send for a carpet-fitter who would – er – fit it.

Like THIS.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.