Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have been asked to teach business English to a mixed skills level group. Two of my students are beginners (and hardly understand English), one is pre-intermediate, one is intermediate and one is an unknown and yet to be tested.
How do I go about teaching these classes?
I was thinking of using pair and group work a lot and teaching the same topics but giving different hand-outs to the students (level appropriate). Is there anything else I can do or a better way to approach this?

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have been asked to teach business English to a mixed skills level group. Two of my students are beginners (and hardly understand English), one is pre-intermediate, one is intermediate and one is an unknown and yet to be tested.
How do I go about teaching these classes?
I was thinking of using pair and group work a lot and teaching the same topics but giving different hand-outs to the students (level appropriate). Is there anything else I can do or a better way to approach this?

Having been in this situation and while challenging, I have treated each as independent groups. I don't see any advantage in applying what you refer to as "same topics". The one advantage you have is that each group is/would be small.

AmyKulishova

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you very much. :-D

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
I'll qualify this by saying that I haven't taught mixed-level classes before, so this is just conjecture.

It's not ideal and it takes more work, but remember you can grade tasks as much as texts, especially for skills-based lessons. For example in a reading text, your lower level students could be given multiple choice/true or false questions, while your higher levels are given more detailed questions or the same questions with no options. In a listening task, perhaps the lower level students could be given a transcript to read at the same time. Grammar will always be an issue. But I've always been impressed with students' ability to pick up a piece of functional language that they haven't learned the grammar for yet, as long as it's presented in a meaningful context. This is despite the usual "How can I teach them this? They haven't learned the past continuous yet."

If you can get hold of it, I would suggest you read Scott Thornbury's book, Teaching Unplugged, which follows the Dogme methods. One of them is no grading of classes. I haven't read it myself, but I am a regular reader of his blog, and I assume he has good evidence-based reasons for this (I've read some of his other work and he's pretty good).

AmyKulishova

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you. What you described with the more in-depth questions for the higher level students is what I was thinking of.

The company that has requested the lessons, has allowed me to first work with the beginners as they are "ground-level" beginners and I will help them with the foundations of English. Only when they are more comfortable with the use of English will the rest of the group be introduced. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.