Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1)I could not find the meaning of "speak low" in the dictionaries, does it have the same meaning of "lower the voice" or "speak softly"?
2) I saw a notice in a ferry, it is "Be considerate, please tone down the voice". Is there any difference with "Lower your voice"?

Thanks.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
re: Meaning of "speak low" and "tone down the noise"

1)I could not find the meaning of "speak low" in the dictionaries, does it have the same meaning of "lower the voice" or "speak softly"?
2) I saw a notice in a ferry, it is "Be considerate, please tone down the voice". Is there any difference with "Lower your voice"?

Thanks.

You got 'tone down the noise" (apart from 'dowN') in the thread title; I suppose in your post it was a slip. The difference is that 'tone down the noise' implies that there is already excessive noise.

b

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

You got 'tone down the noise" (apart from 'dowN') in the thread title; I suppose in your post it was a slip. The difference is that 'tone down the noise' implies that there is already excessive noise.

b

Thanks, BobK.

I couldn't edit the thread title because I was not allowed to edit it by the computer system. Could you tell me how to do it, please? By the way, what is the meaning of "speak low' as posted in my original thread?

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks, BobK.

I couldn't edit the thread title because I was not allowed to edit it by the computer system. Could you tell me how to do it, please?

I believe it's possible, but I don't know how. I'll ask Red5 to comment. He''ll know.
By the way, what is the meaning of "speak low' as posted in my original thread?
Speak softly. 'Low' is what is called a 'bare adverb'. Context is important. To my ear, 'speak soft' is dubious, and 'speak lowly' is just wrong.

b

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1)I could not find the meaning of "speak low" in the dictionaries, does it have the same meaning of "lower the voice" or "speak softly"? Yes.
2) I saw a notice in a ferry, it is "Be considerate, please tone down the voice". Is there any difference with "Lower your voice"? Same meaning.

Thanks.

b.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
2) I saw a notice in a ferry, it is "Be considerate, please tone down the voice".

This doesn't sound very natural to me.
Possible alternatives:
"Be considerate, please keep your voice down".
"Be considerate, please talk quietly".

not a teacher

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I couldn't edit the thread title because I was not allowed to edit it by the computer system. Could you tell me how to do it, please?

Only moderators can edit thread titles.

I've corrected it.

Rover​

Status
Not open for further replies.