Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Can you please help me make out a the words marked "[...]"? I wasn't able to make them out. The singer is from the north of Ireland and his pronunciation is a little unusual. The passage is only a few seconds long and begins at 0:55 and ends at 1:13.

Tell me about your [...] .
Have you any doubt
You need to change and rearrange,
And start speaking out loud.

Is this [...]?
Does it make you proud ?

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Just out of curiosity, can anybody catch the words I wasn't able to? I'd really like to know if it's even possible to make them out because even though the singer is a native English speaker, I find his pronunciation of those words very unusual. Thanks anybody for giving it a try, I appreciate it.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I didn't understand those words. He seems to omit ens before esses, which is new to me.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I didn't understand those words. He seems to omit ens before esses, which is new to me.

Thank you for trying BC. It's strange, though because he pronounces most of the words more or less as I'd expect. Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't make them out. Does anybody else care to give it a try? Preferably someone who is not familiar with the accents of Northern Ireland.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I couldn't. It takes some getting used to, I guess.:-D

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Would a native speaker give it a try please? The passage lasts only a few seconds, and only 3 words and I'd like to know whether or not a native will struggle with this too.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Does anybody else care to give it a try? Preferably someone who is not familiar with the accents of Northern Ireland.

I'm not familiar with accents of Northern Ireland, but I almost got it... well sort of. I looked at the lyrics page first and saw that the first word was frustrations. I must admit that his pronunciation of "frustrations" is rather weird, but again, I don't know how people talk in Northern Ireland, so perhaps this is normal.

Is this [another invitation]? That's what I thought he said, after listening to it a couple of times, but apparently it was "an open" and not "another".

On the whole, I found it rather difficult to decipher what he said. I usually don't have to listen to a recording more than once to understand what is said, so if I listen to something five times and I still get it wrong, it's pretty tough in my opinion.

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Right, there's no diphthong in his "open".

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

I couldn't really decipher it, even though I'm a native speaker. The way he pronounces many of the words in that clip are way out there. I don't think it's the North Ireland accent, I think it's just that he's taking some "artistic license" with the pronunciation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.