English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello!
I've been asked to teach an adult (a friend of my mother) recently. She doesn't speak English but she loves traveling so she'd like to know some simple things that'll help her communicate in foreign countries. She wants a short course without lots of grammar.
So I'm a little lost here :) I presume that lists of vocabulary and focusing on dialogues would be helpful. Am I right?
I really need some advice on that. I've searched the forum but I haven't found anything.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello!
I've been asked to teach an adult (a friend of my mother) recently. She doesn't speak English but she loves traveling so she'd like to know some simple things that'll help her communicate in foreign countries. She wants a short course without lots of grammar.
So I'm a little lost here :) I presume that lists of vocabulary and focusing on dialogues would be helpful. Am I right?
I really need some advice on that. I've searched the forum but I haven't found anything.
You could look here:
https://www.google.com.au/search?so...0.255.1631.7j4j3.14.0...0.0...1ac.9fUxewt7PDM

If she's a typical tourist, you could use any of the "Basic English for Travellers", "Survival English for Travellers" type books as a textbook. That is, she needs 'phrase-book' English.
If she's not a typical tourist, then the answer would depend on the type of her atypicality.

jobofmine

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Some good topics for travellers could be found in general English course books, such as "New Headway" or "New English File"

Kelteona

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You could look here:
If she's a typical tourist, you could use any of the "Basic English for Travellers", "Survival English for Travellers" type books as a textbook. That is, she needs 'phrase-book' English.
If she's not a typical tourist, then the answer would depend on the type of her atypicality.

Thank you, I've found several good links using "basic english for travelers" key words :)

Kelteona

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I looked through New Headway before starting this thread. Directions topics are fine but they're not really useful for a quick beginner course.. at least I think so :)

Status
Not open for further replies.