Very hard to sing the song "Row Row Row Your Boat" when pronounce "t" of "gently"

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Very hard to sing the song "Row Row Row Your Boat" when pronounce "t" of "gently"

Hi All,

I really want to know if the "t" sound of "gently" is necessary to be sounded? When singing the song, Row Row Row Your Boat, it's very hard to pronounce it....can I use glottal stop for the "t" sound of "gently?

Lyrics

Row row row your boat
Gently down to stream
Merrily Merrily Merrily
Life is but a dream

EngFan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Very hard to sing the song "Row Row Row Your Boat" when pronounce "t" of "gently"

It's fine to glottal-stop the t in 'gently'. A lot of native speakers, though not all, would do this. Regarding the other t's: the t in 'boat' can also be skipped, if you like, because it merges nicely into 'gently'; but it's better to pronounce the t in 'but'.

I've attached a recording of me singing the verse twice! First time with a t in 'gently', second time without. ;)

Attachments

• rowrowrowyourboat.mp3
    155.3 KB · Views: 28

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: Very hard to sing the song "Row Row Row Your Boat" when pronounce "t" of "gently"

I won't record myself doing it, but I tried it and using glottal stops for both came more naturally.

I've attached a recording of me singing the verse twice
:up:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I won't record myself doing it
Thank heavens for small mercies.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

And you haven't heard me sing. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.