English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
Could you please help me with this term. "Drug dealer", somebody who sells and buys illegal drugs. I want to make sure if drug here means medicinal drugs, the ones that are too expensive and can't be sold or bought without doctor's superscription? Or does it mean narcotics?
Thanks a million.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

To my knowledge, it usally refers to people who sell illegal drugs such as cannabis, [STRIKE]heroin[/STRIKE], XTC and so on, although it's possible that some people get a kick from using certain types of medicinal drugs. In that case, drug dealers may sell those as well.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
NOT A TEACHER

To my knowledge, it usally refers to people who sell illegal drugs such as cannabis, heroin, XTC and so on, although it's possible that some people get a kick from using certain types of medicinal drugs. In that case, drug dealers may sell those as well.

Heroin is a medicinal drug.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think what we need to make clear is that a "drug dealer" is usually someone who sells any kind of drug, pharmaceutical or narcotic, without any kind of licence to do so. For example, they may sell anti-depressants (perfectly legal pharmaceutical drug) as an "upper" (to give the user a high). However, the term is usually reserved for people who sell illegal drugs as opposed to selling drugs illegally.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is the medicinal use of heroin?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is the medicinal use of heroin?

Otherwise known as "diamorphine".

From Wikipedia: Under the chemical names diamorphine and diacetylmorphine, heroin is a legally prescribed controlled drug in the United Kingdom, and is supplied in tablet or injectable form for the same indications as morphine is, often being preferred over morphine due to its lower side-effect profile.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is indeed illicit trade in what are otherwise prescribed pharmaceuticals, especially opiates.

Status
Not open for further replies.