Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I'm proud of ESL

Hello Teacher & everyone here at ESL!!!

I just registered yesterday and feels overwhelm that this kind of site exists.
    I'm a natural born Filipino, and English is our second language, I know that every country knows how good Filipinos are in speaking English (not only in know-how to speak/write in English but very particular in terms of grammar). I'm very proud that most Filipinos are like that........however, I don't belong to the Filipinos who are very good in English....I can understand & speak English but as not as good as the others....i sometimes lost my confidence especially at the office which is English is our medium of communication. I also feel bad that I didn't get promotion because of lack of confidence during conversations,presentations & others which English dealings is needed, although i know & feels that i'm capable enough of the position which should i wanted.

Does it follows if you're good in Math , you'll be poor in English?....I know I have better Math skills but have poor English. I would like to enhance my English proficiency & gain confidence, please tell me how could i develop my English. I know that I'm one-step forward because I have joined this site. I'm looking forward that my vocabulary,grammar,confidence,& others will be soon improved by being active in ESL.

Please give me advice,tips on how I can overcome my weakness, hope that in this writing, you could evaluate my English proficiency & know-how to correct it...

I'm will look forward for you urgent reply. Thank you so much!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm proud of ESL

Khim, welcome. It doesn't necessarily follow that being good at math means that your poor at language. However, I'm not very good at math. Mind you, you could try to apply that ability to your English.

It's easy to make comments about cofidence, much much harder for the person who lacks it to deal with. however, you must remember that if you get your message across, then you have comunicated successfully. That is more important than worrying about perfection. Also, when you are speakin g a foreign language, you are doing the hard work, so there's no reason for the other person to feel clever if you make a mistake. Try not to worry about mistakes and focus on getting your point across.

nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: I'm proud of ESL

Hi Khim, I know many people who work on maths which are very good in English (although it is not their native language), and know many people who work on other sciences which are not too good in English (including me ). So - don't worry and keep your head! Maths is ok ( ), English is ok ( ), and you're ok ( )!

Best

Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like