Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default To be in the driving seat

    What exactly does it mean the word connection "to be in the driving seat"? Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To be in the driving seat

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukys
    What exactly does it mean the word connection "to be in the driving seat"? Thank you
    to be in control of things, of a situation.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Red face Re: To be in the driving seat

    Hi Lukys, just wanted to let you know that the phrase is "to be in the driver`s seat", instead of "driving" seat. I guess it`s possible that the British say it differently, but I`m not sure.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To be in the driving seat

    Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed
    Hi Lukys, just wanted to let you know that the phrase is "to be in the driver`s seat", instead of "driving" seat. I guess it`s possible that the British say it differently, but I`m not sure.

    http://www.allwords.com/word-driving%20seat.html

    Not necessarily. Btw, that happens to be an American website and we would also say "in the driving seat" here in Canada.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: To be in the driving seat

    Quote Originally Posted by Marylin
    Not necessarily. Btw, that happens to be an American website and we would also say "in the driving seat" here in Canada.
    Doesn`t matter to me where the web site`s from. I was simply trying to point out the idiom as I`ve heard it here in the US. I can`t speak for Canada or anywhere else.

Similar Threads

  1. Modal verbs are driving me crazy! Help!!!
    By ana2005 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-Nov-2005, 21:17
  2. you’re on the edge of your seat
    By humblehkguy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2005, 14:47
  3. when driving somewhere.
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Feb-2005, 02:32
  4. a seat at the table
    By takashi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2004, 09:07
  5. driving force
    By Anatoly in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2003, 15:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •