Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1.What does "how can a choice be neither?" mean?
2.What does "what at this point looks like the worse alternative" mean? "Try not to hand my wallet to the armed man"?

pr32
ex)Free will is another mystery. How can my actions be a choice for which I am responsible if they are completely caused by my genes, my upbringing, and my brain state? Some events are determined, some are random; how can a choice be neither? When I hand my wallet to an armed man who threatens to harm me if I don't, is that a choice? I am faced with a momentous decision, and an expert on human behavior with a ninety-nine percent success rate predicts that I will choose what at this point looks like the worse alternative. Should I continue to agonize, or should I save time and do what's inevitable?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. How can a choice be neither random nor determined.
2. I'm not sure what the author is talking about. Is he still talking about being mugged or has he moved onto some other "momentous decision." Most people do not consider giving up their wallets to be "the worse alternative" to being shot.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm with SoothingDave on this- I can't see what this expert on human behaviour is claiming. I'd rather lose my cash and credit cards than my life and I find it hard to believe many would disagree, but that is what the claims about the expert's success rate suggest. The writer could probably benefit from having an editor or proofreader look over their work.

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I agree with all of you on the opinion that "giving up your wallet is a worse alternative", and regarding 1, I didn't mean its literal meaning, but the implied meaning of "random".
Does it mean one's unintentional, subconcious decision? "determined" seems to mean one's genetic or programmed inevitable action. People may have "free will", but it may be meaningless if you can't help but choose a specific action forced by your nature.

1.a choice be neither random nor determined

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you make a choice, it must either be random or based on a decision- there's no third possibility.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
How is it related to "free will"? So is "free will" neither random nor based on a decision?
Is the writer trying to say most actions come from predetermined response or random one, not "free will"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If a decision is genetic in origin, where's the free will?

Status
Not open for further replies.