Hi.
I am new to this forum and would like to ask to review my letter. I am going to contact professor before applying for PhD. This is the first time I’m writing this kind of letter. My native language is not English, so I may have many grammar mistakes (sorry for that). I have a very “unusual” profile; I have BA is in Finance and Master’s in Art history. I would really like to turn this into my advantage.
Thanks to everyone reading this!

Dear Dr X,

This year, I’m joining a very intense programme in Modern and Contemporary Art at Y; this is a joint programme with the University of Z that covers issues on culture, ideology and identity. I am going to complete a MLitt (master's) degree in September 2013.

I would like to go on into research and obtain PhD in a field related to society, art and culture, and I am very interested in your work.

My research interests include sociological concepts and theories with respect to culture, multicultural theory, the response of artists to the world around them, the relationship between art and power/politics, political and historical context of art. Art can influence social change, while social movements produce different forms of art.

I majored in Finance and Economics at G, the grade-point average of my Bachelor’s degree was 4.7/5. Along with building my career in finance I have been constantly increasing my knowledge in art and culture of different countries reading special literature, travelling and visiting different lectures organized by museums and art galleries. Visiting different places inspired me to study cultures and societies. I was fascinated with the blend of art, architecture and society in well-organized areas. I was amazed by the ability of some cities to develop modern art and design in historical context. I became interested in how different cultures interact to express themselves; how the inhabitants’ values and ways of life affect their needs in public services and cultural events.

I have knowledge of economic and financial processes, managerial expertise and experience of operating in an unstable environment and making decisions in uncertain conditions that I believe would be quite handy for the research in the ever-changing cultural world.

I am looking forward to hearing from you regarding any opportunity you may have for me.
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Yours sincerely,
My Name