Does "stand by the piece" mean "support the article"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:

[h=2]EDITOR’S NOTE[/h]The comments below are a sample of the outrage with which this news story was greeted. We are sorry that it has offended so many readers, but we stand by the piece. We strongly reject suggestions that it was motivated by bias or racism; our intention was to investigate the science behind a controversy arising from the current Olympic Games. The first paragraph states that Ye has never had a positive drug test and notes that much of the discussion of her win “has been tinged with racial and political undertones”.

More:
Why great Olympic feats raise suspicions : Nature News & Comment

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As you would have found, NewHopeR, if you had looked through the definitions here.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: But note that you can't stand by a piece of work that isn't yours. With people it's different; you can 'stand by' someone else. But you can support or defend or agree with or endorse or ...{etc etc.) someone else's work - and that's not standing by it. (At least, not in Br. Eng. ;-))

b

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As you would have found, NewHopeR, if you had looked through the definitions here.

Thanks.
But I was unfamilar with the usage "piece," (a tabloid usage in my eye) especially when it is referred to a news story in a prestigous scientific journal like Nature.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But I was unfamilar with the usage "piece," (a tabloid usage in my eye) especially when it is referred to a news story in a prestigous scientific journal like Nature.

I see nothing about 'tabloid' here, definition 3a. If you would start using the dictionaries as I have suggested several times, you could learn how words are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.