Post Thanks / Like

Default I'd like to make a toast

Rachel: Well of course we will help you decide! We will do anything we can to help you! Now, I would like to make a toast, to the future Mrs. Chandler Bing (A woman at the table behind them overhears Chandler’s name and starts listening closer), my best friend, and truly one of the nicest people that…

Why do you say it, "I'd like to make a toast"? Toast is just a bread, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I'd like to make a toast

See below.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I'd like to make a toast

From http://www.hudsonvalleyweddings.com/guide/toast.htm

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, defines a "toast" as the act of raising a glass and drinking in honor of or to the health of a person or thing. The origin of the word, it is believed may be from the use in bygone days, as early as the 1600's when it was common to toss in a piece of bread or crouton into one's beverage as flavoring of spiced toast to flavor drinks.

According to toast historian (yes, there really are toast historians) Paul Dickson, the first application of the word occurred in Bath, England in 1709. As the story goes, a "noted beauty" of that fair city was seen bathing in public, when an admirer—so taken by her loveliness—filled a cup with the bath water and drank it in her honor! Soon after, another admirer declared his admiration for the lady, but his revulsion for the bath water. So, instead, he offered to eat the toast in her honor. And thus, the term stuck.