Does "all years" mean "the people of all ages"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:

Neurologic diseases are common and costly. According to one estimate, 180 million Americans suffer from a
nervous system disorder, resulting in an annual cost of over $700 billion. The aggregate cost is even greater
than that for cardiovascular disease ( Table 1-1). Globally, these disorders are responsible for 28% of all years
lived w ith a disability . Most patients with neurologic symptoms seek care from internists and other generalists
rather than from neurologists . Because therapies now exist for many neurologic disorders, a skillful approach
to diagnosis is essential . Errors commonly result from an overreliance on costly neuroimaging procedures and
laboratory tests, wh ich, although useful, do not substitute for an adequate history and examination.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Context:

Neurolog ic diseases are common and costly. Accord ing
to one est imate, 180 mill ion Amer icans suffer from a
nervous system disorder, resulting in an annual cost of
over $700 bill ion. The aggregate cost is even greater
than that for cardiovascular disease ( Table 1-1). Glob-
ally, these d isorders are respons ible for 28% of all years
lived w ith a d isability . Most patients w ith neurolog ic
symptoms seek care from internists and other generalists
rather than from neurologists . Because therapies now
ex ist for many neurolog ic disorders, a sk illful approach
to d iagnosis is essent ial . Errors commonly result from an
overrel iance on costly neuroimaging procedures and
laboratory tests, wh ich, although useful, do not subst i-
tute for an adequate history and exam ination. The

Please edit your post, it is very difficult to read as it is.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Context:

Neurologic diseases are common and costly. According to one estimate, 180 million Americans suffer from a
nervous system disorder, resulting in an annual cost of over $700 billion. The aggregate cost is even greater
than that for cardiovascular disease ( Table 1-1). Globally, these disorders are responsible for 28% of all years
lived w ith a disability . Most patients with neurologic symptoms seek care from internists and other generalists
rather than from neurologists . Because therapies now exist for many neurologic disorders, a skillful approach
to diagnosis is essential . Errors commonly result from an overreliance on costly neuroimaging procedures and
laboratory tests, wh ich, although useful, do not substitute for an adequate history and examination.

No, I think it means 28% of the total number of years that people (globally) have lived with a disability.

If I have been disabled for 10 years and my friend has been disabled for 20 years and her sister has been disabled for 30 years then, given that figure, it seems that 28% of those 60 years of disability are likely to have been down to neurological disorders.

I imagine it is absolutely impossible to add up the total number of years that all the disabled people on the planet have been living with their disability but if you could, you would find that 28% of those years were due to neurological disorders.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
No, I think it means 28% of the total number of years that people (globally) have lived with a disability.

If I have been disabled for 10 years and my friend has been disabled for 20 years and her sister has been disabled for 30 years then, given that figure, it seems that 28% of those 60 years of disability are likely to have been down to neurological disorders.

I imagine it is absolutely impossible to add up the total number of years that all the disabled people on the planet have been living with their disability but if you could, you would find that 28% of those years were due to neurological disorders.

In other words, it's meaningless twaddle.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that's a bit harsh. I'm sure there are many statistics on people who receive disability insurance payment, whether it's through private insurance or, in the case of the US, Supplemental Social Security. To receive the payments, you would need to identify the cause of your disability, whether it resulted from a car accident, and workplace injury, or illness, to name a few. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibly that they can look at people who have been receiving disability and calculate what percentage of the payments were going to those with neurological impairments, adjusted for the length of time they receive those benefits.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think that's a bit harsh. I'm sure there are many statistics on people who receive disability insurance payment, whether it's through private insurance or, in the case of the US, Supplemental Social Security. To receive the payments, you would need to identify the cause of your disability, whether it resulted from a car accident, and workplace injury, or illness, to name a few. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibly that they can look at people who have been receiving disability and calculate what percentage of the payments were going to those with neurological impairments, adjusted for the length of time they receive those benefits.

I agree with both Barb and bhaisahab here. I agree that in some circumstances it's possible to work out the figures but the piece claims that it is a global figure. I really don't think anyone would claim to genuinely be able to work out the global years affected by disability. However, I assume that they are saying that from the figures that they can establish, they can extrapolate global figures. I would be inclined to disagree but I know nothing about statistics.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're absolutely right that for the author to claim knowledge on a global scale, it would require some serious extrapolation and bold assumptions.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You're absolutely right that for the author to claim knowledge on a global scale, it would require some serious extrapolation and bold assumptions.

Well, what does WHO exist for? Every country member reports the health condition of their country to WHO, in which a global database will be established. So the Mission Impossible in your eyes will be reduced to a Mission Possible... No need to introduce more because you guys are smart, knowing it is far easier for establising knowledge on a country scale.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.