Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
At this point, let's ask punkt (the OP) whether any of these suggestions hit the spot in the context he was particularly stingy with.

Rover

punkt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I think there are two possible meaning:
1 In Britain English 'Shoot the boot', means drink the beer with boot, usually after the ball game. Maybe 'shoot my boot' means the same.
2 Maybe he just feel bad luck, like someone shoot his own foot.
I don't know which one is correct, but thank you all.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think there are two possible meaning:
1 In Britain English 'Shoot the boot', means drink the beer with boot, usually after the ball game. Maybe 'shoot my boot' means the same.
2 Maybe he just feel bad luck, like someone shoot his own foot.
I don't know which one is correct, but thank you all.

Fearing I had missed something, I just went back over the 3 pages of this thread to find the point at which someone told you that in BrE, "shoot the boot" is the phrase for drinking beer from a football boot after a game of soccer (which we don't call "a ball game, by the way). However, I can't find any mention of it. Since starting this thread, has someone else told you that usage? I am a BrE speaker and, while I can't claim to be a huge soccer fan, I have never heard this phrase in my life.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fearing I had missed something, I just went back over the 3 pages of this thread to find the point at which someone told you that in BrE, "shoot the boot" is the phrase for drinking beer from a football boot after a game of soccer (which we don't call "a ball game, by the way). However, I can't find any mention of it. Since starting this thread, has someone else told you that usage? I am a BrE speaker and, while I can't claim to be a huge soccer fan, I have never heard this phrase in my life.
Hey, 2d2, take a look at the Urban Dictionary: Urban Dictionary: shoot the boot
A Rugby term referring to drinking beer out of a rugby boot (a.k.a. cleats) when a player scores a try for the first time in their career. The boot is filled with anything and everything available including but not limited to beer, food, and earth-worms
Doug yacked after he had to shoot the boot that was filled with grease, beans, rice, beer and hot sauce.

_____

Oh, how I so miss not being British during my adolescence!!!!! :lol: :cool:Cheers,
A4

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm glad to say that I never scored a try. :crazyeye:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, rugby, not football. I can claim even less knowledge of that!

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I was sent off for wearing gloves on the grounds that I couldn't catch the ball. The fact that I didn't want to catch it and that being sent off were great things seemed to pass them by.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They made me play rugby, too—a scrawny, asthmatic youth of 13. I spent the whole match avoiding being passed to; I could see what happened to boys unfortunate enough to get the ball.

Rover

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They made me play rugby, too—a scrawny, asthmatic youth of 13. I spent the whole match avoiding being passed to; I could see what happened to boys unfortunate enough to get the ball.

Rover

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I played rugby for several years and although I never had to shoot-a-boot, I was obliged once or twice to chug-a-lug.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Amigos, I never thought I would have to remind you that one should not post ads :shock: ;-)

charliedeut
Thanks, Deut! I did not know that A4 was a sport's apparel company! I guess I don't get out to the shopping malls as often as I should! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.