Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
What's the difference when we say this dish is stewed and when boiled?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I am certainly not an expert on cooking, but to stew something usually means to cook it slowly in a liquid, often inside a dish with a lid on it. To boil simply means to cook something by heating it in boiling water.

not a teacher

maral55

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks. The terms seem to be similar ! Can I say the difference is that the liquid in stewing isn't necessarily boiling?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Thanks. The terms seem to be similar! Can I say the difference is that the liquid in stewing isn't necessarily boiling?

Yes. The stewing process tends to be slow, with the water and juices never coming fully to the boil but simmering for a comparatively long period. This process is particularly good for making food tender, especially meat that may be too tough to prepare in other ways.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: The liquid isn't necessarily boiling, and the liquid in a 'boiled' recipe is usually water. Meat isn't 'boiled in its own juice'; in fact 'in <possessive-pronoun> own juice' is more often than not figurative: 'Leave them to stew in their own juice - they'll see sense in a while'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.