Question on reiteration subtypes classified by Halliday and Hasan (1976)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonichibi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi there,

I'm studying lexical reiteration as a kind of cohesion in English. The classification of reiteration by Halliday and Hasan (1976) which states that reiteration can be:
- Repetition
- Synonym or near-synonym
- Superordinate
- General word
is quite confusing to me. Why isn't antonym listed here? Do you have any idea?

And this is the definition given in "Cohesion in English" (1976:278):

"Reiteration is a form of lexical cohesion which involves the repetition of a lexical item, at one end of the scale; the use of a general word to refer back to a lexical item at the other end of the scale; and a number of thing in between-the use of synonym, near-synonym, or superordinate."

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

jonichibi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Does anyone has the same interest with me?

Synonym and antonym are often taken into consideration together, just like a pair when people mention lexical relation. That makes me wonder :?::?::?:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does anyone has the same interest with me?
I'm not sure I do :-? - Language - yes; Hallyday, not so much.
Synonym and antonym are often taken into consideration together, just like a pair when people mention lexical relation. That makes me wonder :?::?::?:
I waved goodbye to Hallyday, with a nearly inexpressible sense of relief, a few years ago. It seems to me that the use of antonyms (in an appopriate - negative - context) would be a way of enhancing cohesion; but I've never been sure what 'cohesion' is, in Hallydayan terms, or how it differs from 'coherence'.

Reiteration is a form of lexical cohesion [no it's not for Heaven's sake, or have I just misunderstood 'cohesion'? In their terms, this makes cohesion a 'superordinate' of reiteration, rather than something that can be enhanced by it.] which involves the repetition of a lexical item, at one end of the scale; the use of a general word to refer back to a lexical item at the other end of the scale; and a number of thingS in between-the use of synonym, near-synonym, or superordinate.
This is a good example of the sort of pointless word-fencing that annoys me about this very trendy sub-genre*! ;-)

b

PS *See, it's a conditioned reflex: mention 'Hallyday' and like Pavlov's dogs I start spewing out these buzz-words!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.