• Native Language:
      • Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

• Post Thanks / Like

help with writing a formal letter

hi i need help writing a formal letter to my dean. i have written it, but it doesnt really sound professional to me. if its possible, i want to explain to him that i really need to drop this subject because i dont want it to affect my CGPA. is there any way you can help me?
    the letter is as follows:

12 Jalan Aman Putra 2/4,
    Taman Aman Putra,
    47130 Puchong,
    Selangor.
    8/11/2012
    Dean of Faculty of Creative Multimedia
    Multimedia University,
    Jalan Multimedia,
    63100 Cyberjaya,
    Selangor.

Dear Mr Thwaites,

I am a student enrolled in the faculty of Creative Multimedia, majoring in Advertising Design. I am currently going through some personal problems that have affected my ability to perform in classes. I have requested to drop Online Advertising (MAD1013), because I do not think I can cope with the work given.

In the good name of the university as one of the leading institutions in Malaysia, I am disappointed to say that I do not thoroughly understand your method in maintaining this honorary status, because most of the lecturers and staff members seemed to have the same monotonous and unhelpful tones in their voices when I inquired about this said issue. All stating that it is too far in the semester for me to drop a class. I will still cover the fees of every subject I took; I just do not want one of the grades to affect my whole CGPA.

It is unfortunate to advice of this incapability of mine to organize my schedule efficiently this semester, as I do not wish to disgrace the good name of this institution. I apologize profusely for the inconvenience caused. Please consider allowing me to retake this class in the next semester itís offered.

Regards,

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: help with writing a formal letter

Quote Originally Posted by sidnice420 View Post
    hi i need help writing a formal letter to my dean. i have written it, but it doesnt really sound professional to me. if its possible, i want to explain to him that i really need to drop this subject because i dont want it to affect my CGPA. is there any way you can help me?
    the letter is as follows:

12 Jalan Aman Putra 2/4,
    Taman Aman Putra,
    47130 Puchong,
    Selangor.
    8/11/2012
    Dean of Faculty of Creative Multimedia
    Multimedia University,
    Jalan Multimedia,
    63100 Cyberjaya,
    Selangor.

Dear Mr Thwaites,

I am a student enrolled in the faculty of Creative Multimedia, majoring in Advertising Design. I am currently going through some personal problems that have affected my ability to perform in classes. I have requested to drop Online Advertising (MAD1013), because I do not think I can cope with the work given.

In the good name of the university as one of the leading institutions in Malaysia, I am disappointed to say that I do not thoroughly understand your method in maintaining this honorary status, because most of the lecturers and staff members seemed to have the same monotonous and unhelpful tones in their voices when I inquired about this said issue. All stating I have been advised that it is too far in the semester for me to drop a class. I will still am prepared to cover the fees of every subject I took for which I registered; I just do not want one of the grades to affect my whole CGPA.

It is unfortunate to advice I apoligize for my of this incapability of mine to organize my schedule efficiently this semester, as and I do not wish to disgrace affect the good name of this institution. I apologize profusely for the inconvenience caused. Please consider allowing me to retake this class when offered in the next semester. it’s offered.

Regards,
    I would recommend strongly that you consider deleting the portion that I have highlighted in red. I don't think you are going to get much sympathy by criticizing the faculty or the program.