Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Ju is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default differences between ability and capability

    I have checked the differences between ability and capability from the old threads. But I am still not able to figure out the differences. Please help.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: differences between ability and capability

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    I have checked the differences between ability and capability from the old threads. But I am still not able to figure out the differences. Please help.

    Thank you.
    In many contexts each could be used interchangeably, but "ability" is used primarily in reference to persons, whereas "capability" can be used in reference to objects.

  3. #3
    Ju is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: differences between ability and capability

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    In many contexts each could be used interchangeably, but "ability" is used primarily in reference to persons, whereas "capability" can be used in reference to objects.
    Age affects the range of a person's capabilities.
    (the capability of the above sentence is in reference to person)

    So, shall I say the usage of ability and capabilites are all depends on the situations?

    Thank you.

  4. #4
    billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: differences between ability and capability

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    Age affects the range of a person's capabilities.
    (the capability of the above sentence is in reference to person)

    So, shall I say the usage of ability and capabilites are all depends depend on the situations? You have my permission.

    Thank you.
    B.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2012, 19:44
  2. ability vs capability
    By birendrapnayak in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2012, 10:10
  3. [Vocabulary] man of great ability/capability/with capacity
    By yuriya in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2010, 18:32
  4. capability or ability
    By bosun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Aug-2009, 16:43
  5. ability&capability
    By zjcash in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Nov-2004, 07:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •