Is it fine to use "because" at the begining of a sentence in writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I heard many native speakers say "because" at the beginning of a sentence in spoken English. Is it fine to use "because" at the begining of a sentence in written English?

Thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the right context, any word can begin a sentence, even and or but.

Rover

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'll give a longer answer.

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?
A: Becaues he wanted to get to the other side.
-- Back in elementary/primary school, the teacher would mark this answer down. The teacher wanted complete sentences. "The chicken crossed the raod to get to the other side." It's only half a sentence as written.

In real life, we'd answer that way all the time, or simply "He wanted get to the other side."

So a "sentence" like "Because he wanted to" would be correct in most real-life contexts, but incorrect in many school settings.

However, you can also write a complete sentence starting with "because" by changing the order. "Because the chicken wanted to get to the other side of the road, he walked across it."

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I'll give a longer answer.

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?
A: Becaues he wanted to get to the other side.
-- Back in elementary/primary school, the teacher would mark this answer down. The teacher wanted complete sentences. "The chicken crossed the raod to get to the other side." It's only half a sentence as written.

In real life, we'd answer that way all the time, or simply "He wanted get to the other side."

So a "sentence" like "Because he wanted to" would be correct in most real-life contexts, but incorrect in many school settings.

However, you can also write a complete sentence starting with "because" by changing the order. "Because the chicken wanted to get to the other side of the road, he walked across it."

Thanks a lot, Barb_D.

That's exactly what I want to know. In many grammar exercise books for our primary schools, the model answer for something like your excellent context would usually be as follows:-

The chicken crossed the road because he wanted to get to the other side.

However, I've seen a model answer for something like this as follows:

Because he wanted to get to the other side.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The model reflects more likely actual usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.