Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

.... Most beds for royalty in prerevolutionary times (before the revolution of 1917 in Russia) were much shorter than the height of their owners. The reason was that doctors supposed it was much more useful for people's blood circulation and breath to sleep half-sitting/half-seated....

I usually say "half-seated", but I'd like to know whether the second option is also possible.

Can we say "half-lying" or "half-lied" with the same meaning or these words don't exist?

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

.... Most beds for royalty in prerevolutionary times (before the revolution of 1917 in Russia) were much shorter than the height of their owners. The reason was that doctors supposed it was much more useful for people's blood circulation and breath to sleep half-sitting/half-seated....

I usually say "half-seated", but I'd like to know whether the second option is also possible.

Can we say "half-lying" or "half-lied" with the same meaning or these words don't exist?

Thanks

"Half-lying" is OK for me but "half-lied" doesn't exist. "Lied" doesn't work in the same way that "seated" does.

He was seated on the chair = He was sitting on the chair
He was lied on the bed is incorrect and should be "He was lying on the bed".

You can describe someone as "half-seated and half-lying" on something but "half-sitting and half-lying" sounds better.

Status
Not open for further replies.