Post Thanks / Like

Default Are you sure? or You are sure?

Hello! Which one is correct? Are both correct? I was taught that in order to ask a question the correct one is the first sentence. But some people say that both are grammatically correct. What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Are you sure? or You are sure?

The first is the standard model for a question, but we will use the second. I'd use it to confirm something- I just want to check you're sure, like a question tag, while the first would be for when I have no idea what you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Tdol. May I ask if you are an English-speaker? I'm asking this, because my mother tongue is Spanish, but I've been studying English all my life, and they taught me that in order to ask a question you need the inversion verb-subject. However a lot of people to whom I asked if both questions are correct, they said both are correct. This does not convince me because why was I taught (and in fact, it is still being taught in this way) thay way of asking a question and not told that we can ask a question in the Spanish way >> "you are sure?". Even in German you need the inversion.
    This is very strange for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    The first is the standard model for a question, but we will use the second. I'd use it to confirm something- I just want to check you're sure, like a question tag, while the first would be for when I have no idea what you think.

I agree with you in the "question tag" aspect.
    For instance ? Could you please give me an example? Let me know if it is the same thing I'm thinking right now, but cannot put it down in words.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I am a native speaker. We use inversion for questions, but not all the time- you can make pretty much anything a question by a rising intonation- if you say 'really?' with the correct intonation it is a question, and it's unnnecessary to make a complete sentence out of it.
    Are you sure about that?
    You're sure about that?
    You sure about that?
    You wil here all three being used. The last two are far more likely to be used when the speaker is surprised by what the person has just said.