Ask for a recommendation of relaxing reads!

Status
Not open for further replies.

outofdejavu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear All,

I've been reading some detective stories during the first half of the year, and I'd like to switch over to some relaxing reads.

Are there any good books with daily life humor anyone can recommend me?
Either prose books or novels are fine. I prefer prose books at this moment, though.

Well, for me, the title which goes like 'something somebody's dad says' is certainly not in this category.
Thanks.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One of my favorite books ever (though not humorous) is The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher. It was very "cosy" to read. A funny one that was still poignment was Blessed are the Cheesemakers if you can find it. I was drawn to the title (since I'm a Monty Python fan) and liked it. I don't know if you hate the whole vampire genre, but the Sookie Stackhouse books start off pretty funny. (They are not at all like the series True Blood, which is based on them.) The first one is Dead Until Dark. If you like mysteries but don't want to think very hard, the Stephanie Plum series is laugh-out-loud funny. The first one is One for the Money.

Marco_BR

Member Type
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I like H. P. Lovecraft and E. A. Poe's stories, but they are short tales of suspense, horror and fantastic.
Good reads!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you like travel writing, I can recommend "Spanish Steps" by Tim Moore. He's an English guy who walked the famous Camino de Santiago de Compostela with a donkey called Shinto. It's an easy, relaxing read and at times I really did "LOL" (laugh out loud)!

Alex Thompson

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Our fast-paced society can cause people to push their minds and bodies to the limit, often at the expense of physical and mental well being. According to the Mind/Body Medical Institute at Harvard University, 60 - 90% of all medical office visits in the United States are for stress related disorders. Such stress has damaging effects on health and the immune system. Relaxation techniques are helpful tools for coping with stress and promoting long-term health by slowing down the body and quieting the mind. Such techniques generally entail: refocusing attention (for example, noticing areas of tension), increasing body awareness, and exercises (such as meditation) to connect the body and mind together. Used daily, these practices can lead to a healthier perspective on stressful circumstances. In fact, more than 3,000 studies show the beneficial effects of relaxation on health and well being.

Thanks

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Our fast-paced society can cause people to push their minds and bodies to the limit, often at the expense of physical and mental well being. According to the Mind/Body Medical Institute at Harvard University, 60 - 90% of all medical office visits in the United States are for stress related disorders. Such stress has damaging effects on health and the immune system. Relaxation techniques are helpful tools for coping with stress and promoting long-term health by slowing down the body and quieting the mind. Such techniques generally entail: refocusing attention (for example, noticing areas of tension), increasing body awareness, and exercises (such as meditation) to connect the body and mind together. Used daily, these practices can lead to a healthier perspective on stressful circumstances. In fact, more than 3,000 studies show the beneficial effects of relaxation on health and well being.

Thanks

A couple of questions spring to mind after reading your post:

- Did you produce the text yourself or were you quoting? If quoting, please acknowledge the source.
- What does this have to do with books to relax in summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.