Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    writekdjones is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Questions about comma placement and "lie vs lay"

    Hello! I'm an author who has been working on brushing up my grammar by practicing line-edits on my own manuscript. However, there are some spots I'm not quite sure about...

    1. (Comma placement) She kept her gaze at her feet, not wanting to look at the approaching dais before her (comma?) or at the great black throne that crowned the room.
    I know you're only supposed to use a comma if there are two independent clauses (or so I think). I wasn't sure if "black throne" and "crowned" were the subject and verb, or if "she" at the very beginning is still the main subject.

    2. (Lie vs. lay)
    Her blood chilled at the memory of what lay beyond those doors...
    The pieces of the mirror’s shattered surface lay on the filthy floor below...

    Did I get it right? If I didn't, could you please explain why so I'll know better next time? Lie vs. lay is terribly confusing to me.

    Thank you so much for taking a look at my thread!

  2. #2
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Questions about comma placement and "lie vs lay"

    Quote Originally Posted by writekdjones View Post
    Her blood chilled at the memory of what lay beyond those doors...
    The pieces of the mirror’s shattered surface lay on the filthy floor below...

    Did I get it right? If I didn't, could you please explain why so I'll know better next time? Lie vs. lay is terribly confusing to me.
    Welcome to the forum, writekdjones.

    Your two sentences are correct.

    lay/laid laid - put (somebody/something) in a position.

    lie/lay/lain - be in a position.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.


  3. #3
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14,134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Questions about comma placement and "lie vs lay"

    Welcome from me, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by writekdjones View Post

    1. (Comma placement) She kept her gaze at her feet, not wanting to look at the approaching dais before her (comma?) or at the great black throne that crowned the room.
    I know you're only supposed to use a comma if there are two independent clauses (or so I think). I wasn't sure if "black throne" and "crowned" were the subject and verb, or if "she" at the very beginning is still the main subject.



    No comma is necessary in my opinion, but you will often see one in places like that, where it is helpful in breaking up a long sentence and aiding understanding.

    You will observe that we prefer to receive unrelated questions in separate threads.

    Rover

  4. #4
    writekdjones is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Questions about comma placement and "lie vs lay"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    You will observe that we prefer to receive unrelated questions in separate threads.

    Rover
    Thanks for answering my question, Rover, and for letting me know. I'll do so next time. =)

    As for your answer, that's what confuses me. It seems some punctuation is optional, or at least, you have choices. (Not always, but sometimes.)

    Thanks for the welcome.

  5. #5
    writekdjones is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Questions about comma placement and "lie vs lay"

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Welcome to the forum, writekdjones.


    lay/laid laid - put (somebody/something) in a position.

    lie/lay/lain - be in a position.
    Thank you, 5jj, for the welcome, as well as answering my question. I appreciate it. =)

    Your examples make sense for me. I always tend to "muddy up" lie/lay in my head, so thank you for simplifying their uses and meanings for me!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-May-2012, 16:30
  2. DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "TO Lay" and "TO Lie"
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Sep-2007, 15:45
  3. "to lie" and "to lay"
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-Mar-2007, 20:23
  4. lie or lay
    By REO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Mar-2006, 10:18
  5. past form of the verbs "lie / lay"
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-May-2005, 09:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •