Post Thanks / Like

Default Phonetic transcriptions?

Hello
    I am a teacher of English for intermediate students. I want to teach them how to use the phonetic alphabet as applied to English. A few years ago, when I was a student myself, my teacher had taught us the phonetic alphabet using transcripts: on the left page, a text in plain English, on the right page, the transcript in phonetic alphabet. I found that rather efficient. I'd like to do exactly the same with my students.
    The problem is that I've been unable to trace the source of these texts. I've browsed through several phonetics handbooks at a rather large bookshop in Paris but haven't found the equivalent. I'm no longer in contact with that teacher of mine.
    Could anyone recommend a book? And/or tell me where I could find something like this on the web? I need something very basic: just the texts in plain English and the corresponding transcripts in the phonetic alphabet.
    Many Thanks
    D

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Phonetic transcriptions?

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Phonetic transcriptions?

Quote Originally Posted by dacaumodo
    Hello
    I am a teacher of English for intermediate students. I want to teach them how to use the phonetic alphabet as applied to English. A few years ago, when I was a student myself, my teacher had taught us the phonetic alphabet using transcripts: on the left page, a text in plain English, on the right page, the transcript in phonetic alphabet. I found that rather efficient. I'd like to do exactly the same with my students.
    The problem is that I've been unable to trace the source of these texts. I've browsed through several phonetics handbooks at a rather large bookshop in Paris but haven't found the equivalent. I'm no longer in contact with that teacher of mine.
    Could anyone recommend a book? And/or tell me where I could find something like this on the web? I need something very basic: just the texts in plain English and the corresponding transcripts in the phonetic alphabet.
    Many Thanks
    D
    Being deeply interested in phonetic myself, I can provide you with the list of phonetic symbols, if you may so wish, which displays ALL the sounds spoken in British English (or English in general, you could say), including consonants, vowels & diphthongs.

It has 3 columns with far left column giving the "phonetic symbol" middle column giving the example of particular word written using phonetic symbols & the last colum simply states the actual word such as "pat".

I've got BOTH the IP (which if you wish to produce on your computer, you need to download IP font) & Sampa (which has special character & can be produced using normal "Times New Roman" text) trascripts of these phonetic alphabets. So, the IP phonetic symbol used in vowel sound as in "pat" can be typed in Sampa as "{" & so on.

Once you get a through understanding of this, you can simply use online dictionary like cambridge.dictionary.org & type in any word & it shows you the phonetic of that particular word as well.

So, in your case, if you are teaching children, if your sentence is:

Mat is a boy who plays with a bat

then you'll have to type in each of these word within this dictionary & get the phonetic of it. Although, it may sound time-consuming for now, once you get used to with it, you don't need dictionary & can simply translate the normal text based sentence (as above) into "phonetic text" based sentence.

I was going to attach 2 files here one with IP symbols & other with Sampa. Notice however, that in Sampa, small & capital cases such as "v" & "V" & "n" & "N", etc. are unique sounds, so NO confusing is possible, but CANNOT since the file size is bigger, so if you need it, I can send you through e-mail attachment, instead.

If you need any further explanation then don't hesitate asking.

In the mean time,

Au Revoir (as French would say ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Phonetic transcriptions?

Thanks - this might be it, but there's no way to have a look inside the book, as is sometimes possible on Amazon...

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Phonetic transcriptions?

Quote Originally Posted by dacaumodo
    Thanks - this might be it, but there's no way to have a look inside the book, as is sometimes possible on Amazon...
    I've sent the attached files through your e-mail, as you provided earlier.

In the mean time, I'm quite comfortable in teaching someone, who fancy having British accent, which depending on their ability, amount of effort & time they spend, can be achieved within weeks or months.