Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I want to ask a question about quantifying objects and the use of articles:

-suppose there's a massager with 5 functions: massaging, cooling, heating, illuminating and cleaning (remember every function is a single function) and I want to express it in a sentence like this:

"This is a massager with massaging, cooling, heating, illuminating and cleaning functions."

Well, if each function is a single function, is it WRONG to express in this way without any articles to quantify each of them. Cause I think in this way: each function should be linked to the word "function" in that sentence: say: a massaging--> function, a cooling--> function, a heating--> function...and finally all things together--> functions (cause there are more than 1 thing, so function--> functions), yet after this skewering, we will not keep the article in front like this: a massaging, cooling, heating, illuminating and cleaning functions, cause "functions" will negate the use of "a" here.
Under this situation, must we need to use "the" cause "the" can accommodate both "function" (singular) and "functions" (plural).

Or, native speakers will entirely not express what I intended to in this way?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"This is a massager with massaging, cooling, heating, illuminating and cleaning functions."
IF there is such a massager, then that is the way to describe it.

What was the point of a thread title about cats? Please give titles that have something to do with what the thread is about.

ps. The word is 'because'.

Status
Not open for further replies.