Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

When we need to say at what time a museum closes at the end of a day we can use the preposition "by" like in

"By 6 o'clock p.m. the museum has closed/closes/will have closed".

Present Perfect is usually used with "by", but here there is a general statement about the working hours. Is Present Perfect fine here or we need to use Present Simple here?

Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When we need to say at what time a museum closes at the end of a day we can use the preposition "by" like in

"By 6 o'clock p.m. the museum has closed/closes/will have closed".

Present Perfect is usually used with "by", but here there is a general statement about the working hours. Is Present Perfect fine here or we need to use Present Simple here?
You have asked about three different questions there.

If we need to say at what time a museum closes, then we simply say, "The museum closes at 6 pm/6 o' clock'.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Or just 'The museum closes at six'. (Nobody's going to think you mean 6am.)

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks!!!

If I need to make a sentence with "by" at the beginning, how should I say? My option is "By 6pm the museum will have closed". Can we somehow use "by" and one of the tenses except Perfect tenses (like Future Perfect in my option)?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If I need to make a sentence with "by" at the beginning, how should I say? My option is "By 6pm the museum will have closed". Can we somehow use "by" and one of the tenses except Perfect tenses (like Future Perfect in my option)?
You can use 'by' whenever it's appropriate, but you have to recognise that it means something different from 'at'. This difference has little to do with tenses.

In Elbonia, where they are very precise about time, if the museum is scheduled to close at six, then it closes/will close at six. in Disjunctia, where they are far more relaxed about time, if the museum is scheduled to close at six, it may close at any time between four and eight. We can be fairly sure that it will have closed by nine.

Status
Not open for further replies.