• English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: redundancy

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammadhelmi View Post
    1 a private teacher, especially one who teaches an individual student or a very small group
    2 (especially British English) a teacher whose job is to pay special attention to the studies or health, etc. of a student or a group of students his history tutor He was my personal tutor at university.She's in my tutor group at school.
    3 (British English) a teacher, especially one who teaches adults or who has a special role in a school or college a part-time adult education tutor
    4 (North American English) an assistant lecturer in a college
    .....and 1 through 4 are definitions/descriptions of

Marccossss is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

So a private tutor is redundant, because the dictionary defines it already, thats my point , I did check fundamental premises(resources to be short and less pretentious) before posting,but it depends on the source,they are all different,not all dictionaries include 2and 3 above,, maybe you should read first before making unneeded attacking remarks and just add to the discussion,I already said what you said yesterday at 6:05,obviously you dont know if it is redundant or not,or you would say so,all that you did was paste something that soemone else said, not your own opinion,,

Marccossss is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

all tutors are your personal tutor,,that is they give you personal or individual attention not received in a class,, tutors are predominantly hired privately and paid for by the student..you can't have a tutor group because tutor is either a noun or a verb,,not an adjective,, but your group can recieve tutoring from a tutor,,usually offered outside of mainstream education, or shadow education,,therefore I say private tutor is redundant,,

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what you think you can get from this site, if you ignore our guidance as well as dictionary definitions.
    It's not redundant. Tutors can teach small groups or provide 1:1 tutoring. A school may provide a tutor for someone who has to miss class due to illness - that's a public tutor, not a private one. Whether you consider "private" to mean individualized instruction or paid for by personal instead of public funds, you can have group tutors or public tutors, so the phrase is not redundant.

Perhaps you could take a look at using capital letters and proper punctuation.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Marccosss, you are just wrong. Most British schoolchildren spend ten to twelve years in a tutor group with their form/classs tutor. Those who go on to university will have subject tutors there. British, American and Australian teachers and writers have told you this, and you have been given dictionary definitions. Still you continue to insist on things that are not true. I am closing this thread before learners become needlessly confused.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2