Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
(source: Iceberg Slim – Pimp, The story of my life)

The section that contains the expression:

”Flip out of wheels as much as possible. Flip ’em fast and crack more scratch for over time. Your name is Mary Jones. I got enough ’B. R.’ to raise you fast. You are not a thief. I don’t need a bondsman or a lip now. You don’t have a sheet.”

(quotation marks as in original)

Backround:

Slim gives instruction to his girl before he lets her out to the street to work as a prostitute. He teaches her even what to do if she would get arrested.

So, what does ’B.R.’ mean here?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
"Your name is Mary Jones. I got enough ’B.R.’ to raise you fast. You are not a thief. I don’t need a bondsman or a lip now. You don’t have a sheet.”

Here's my best guess.
"If you're caught by the cops you give your name as Mary Jones. I've got enough money put aside to pay what's needed to get you out quickly. You haven't stolen anything. I don't need anyone to guarantee the bail money, or an attorney. You don't have a criminal record."

I'm suggesting that:
"B.R." might = bank roll (thefreedictionary.com: "Gamblers, such as poker players, often refer to the money they have set aside to play as their "bank roll".)
"raise you fast" = get you out of the lock-up quickly (by paying bail or perhaps a bribe).
"a bondsman" = someone who would guarantee the bail money.
"a lip" = an attorney (thesaurus.com)
"a sheet" = a criminal record.

not a teacher

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Interesting- I had no idea what it might mean. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.