Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. suprunp's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 531
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    the ability through derivatives of holding

    Taking away from the usefulness of margin debt for market forecasting is the ability through derivatives of holding positions outside the Federal Reserve requirements for margin, which only apply to banks.
    (Technical analysis: the complete resource for financial market technicians / Charles D. Kirkpatrick and Julie Dahlquist.)

    I think it should be "the ability through derivatives to hold". Am I right and is it a common mistake among native English speakers?

    Thanks.

  2. charliedeut's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 5,444
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: the ability through derivatives of holding

    Quote Originally Posted by suprunp View Post
    Taking away from the usefulness of margin debt for market forecasting is the ability through derivatives of holding positions outside the Federal Reserve requirements for margin, which only apply to banks.
    (Technical analysis: the complete resource for financial market technicians / Charles D. Kirkpatrick and Julie Dahlquist.)

    I think it should be "the ability through derivatives to hold". Am I right and is it a common mistake among native English speakers?

    Thanks.
    Could anyone translate it into English please?
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

  3. suprunp's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 531
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: the ability through derivatives of holding

    Quote Originally Posted by charliedeut View Post
    Could anyone translate it into English please?
    Treat it as "The yinkish dripner blorked quastofically into the nindin with the pidibs"

  4. charliedeut's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 5,444
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: the ability through derivatives of holding

    Quote Originally Posted by suprunp View Post
    Treat it as "The yinkish dripner blorked quastofically into the nindin with the pidibs"
    Oh, it's crystal clear now!
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,667
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: the ability through derivatives of holding

    Quote Originally Posted by suprunp View Post
    Treat it as "The yinkish dripner blorked quastofically into the nindin with the pidibs"
    Are you sure it was the yinkish dripner that blorked?

  6. suprunp's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 531
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: the ability through derivatives of holding

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Are you sure it was the yinkish dripner that blorked?
    I'm sure that whoever it was it was done into the nindin.

    My apologies for trying to get back to the subject -- but could anyone be so kind to suggest anything ('drop this book' would be fine as well).

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2012, 19:44
  2. Holding
    By indonica in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Jan-2011, 01:16
  3. [Grammar] How u doing? and How u holding up?
    By noppanit in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Dec-2010, 08:59
  4. abbreviation derivatives, looking for theory!
    By lunamew in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2010, 08:33
  5. holding something out
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Jun-2007, 22:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •