Thread: "brat"

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy "brat"

Is it bad if a guy calls a girl a "BRAT"? Is it offensive?
    I like to joke around - and this guy calls me brat, I thought it was a cute thing 'till a friend of mine told me it wasn't.
    What do you think?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "brat"

It's not offensive, but it's negative.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be better if he calls you "bird"

SweetMommaSue is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: "brat"

Hello Hopee,

Here in the States, it depends entirely on the circumstances involved. Between good friends and family members, it could be a teasing thing. For instance, there is about 15 yrs. difference between one of my younger sisters and I, and there have been plenty of occasions when I've called her a "brat" because she had been pestering me so much. In that sense, it's mildly negative, but in a joking way. So, there are no hard feelings. Instead, she laughs and says, "I know !"

But, I wouldn't advise saying it to someone with whom you're only mildly acquainted.

Have a pleasant day!
    Sweet Momma Sue

SweetMommaSue is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way,
    WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! HOPE TO SEE MORE OF YOU HERE!

After re-reading your post, I was wondering if perhaps you've been teasing the guy who called you a brat. If so, the only way to determine if he's insulting you or not is to consider your relationship: is it a casual one where you guys both play jokes on each other?

I used to tease my guy friends incessantly. They called me a brat from time to time, but anyone who knew me knew I was a prankster. I could take jokes and dish them right back! Now it has come full circle: I have 3 sons who are all like me in that respect, and guess who the recipient of most of their pranks is? Yep--me! And I have called them brats, too. I think the key is knowing where the limits are to a person's patience and sense of humor. That's what I am teaching them. Go beyond acceptable limits, and "brat" will not be the description you will hear.

Smiles,
    Sweet Momma Sue

Post Thanks / Like

Talking hello

Hi I AM New In ThiS Site And I`d Really Like To Meet Nice Persons WeLL My Name Is Elena But Plese Call Me Paloma .(dove) Well I Hope You Write me soon
    Thanks....

Post Thanks / Like

It's impossible to tell from the word itself, as Sue points out; the context is everything. On its face, the word has pejorative connotations: the prototype "brat" is a spoiled child who whines and complains and pouts when s/he doesn't get things just his/her way. So, byi nature, it isn't a compliment.

BUT, I suspect your bf is trying to tease you in an affectionate and even amorous way though .

Him: Let's go to that new Brad Pitt movie, sweetie.
    Her: (pretending to pout.... girls like to do that, you know) No, it's too cold out and my feet get chilly, and I don't feel like putting on makeup.
    Him: (Because she's acting wimpy and girly, and kind of cute in doing so): Why, you little brat face! I'm going to tickle you good for that!

.... you can use your imagination for the balance....who needs Brad Pitt anyway?