How do we call a woman who holds master degree & she gives a lecture at university.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
How do we call a woman who holds master degree & she gives a lecture at university.

I do know her name but the problem when I do send her a message, I don’t know what should precede her name & the best title for her. Again, she holds a master degree & gives lectures at university. I hope the aforementioned passage is clear.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: How do we call a woman who holds master degree & she gives a lecture at universit

A master's degree confers no title in English. Unless you know that this person prefers to be called Mrs or Miss J Doe, then address her as Ms J Doe.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Re: How do we call a woman who holds master degree & she gives a lecture at universit

A master's degree confers no title in English. Unless you know that this person prefers to be called Mrs or Miss J Doe, then address her as Ms J Doe.

An example, her name is Maria
Will you set me an example of that name?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Ms M Doe.

The M is the initial of Maria (presumably her given name) and Doe represents her surname (family name).

You should use her actual surname.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

If you are writing a letter, address the envelope to Ms M Surname, and begin the letter Dear Ms Surname.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

A master's degree confers no title in English...[/I]
It is a Latin pun - a male 'MA' is Magister Artis and a female 'MA' is Magistra Artis. :)

b

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

If you are her equal (not a student), use the first name in every e-mail after the first one.

If you are her academic superior (you have a PhD) do NOT allow yourself to do so, and maintain the Ms. Doe style.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

If you are her equal (not a student), use the first name in every e-mail after the first one.

If you are her academic superior (you have a PhD) do NOT allow yourself to do so, and maintain the Ms. Doe style.
I use a first name only if the person I have written to replies with a first-name signature. Wheher Professor Pat Postule is my 'superior' or not, I will address him/her as 'Pat' only if s/he has signed his/her last communication to me with the word 'Pat'.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

It's not just about what the person you're corresponding with signals to you; it's about what you signal to them.

Letter politeness is a precious and specious kind of elegance. E-mails in particular should be as direct as possible. And since in practice equals call each other by their first names now universally and ab initio when face to face, the same should go for e-mail.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

And since in practice equals call each other by their first names now universally and ab initio when face to face, the same should go for e-mail.
Well, perhaps I am old-fashioned, but I am not impressed if I receive an email from someone I don't know addressing me by my first name. I never use a first name in a first email to a person I don't know.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

I've said the switch should take place only with the second message, and never between people who are not equals.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I've said the switch should take place only with the second message, and never between people who are not equals.
You wrote in the post I responded to:
E-mails in particular should be as direct as possible. And since in practice equals call each other by their first names now universally and ab initio when face to face, the same should go for e-mail.
My understanding of 'ab initio' is that it means 'from the beginning', not 'from the second message'.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Oh, sorry. I meant what I wrote above that. #7 in this thread.

But a "Hello Mary" is still better even in the first message than the flowery obsequies of traditional letter-writing.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

But a "Hello Mary" is still better even in the first message than the flowery obsequies of traditional letter-writing.
I wouldn't really call salutations such as 'Dear Ms Doe' "flowery obsequies".

If you are thinking of things like 'I remain, sir, your most obedient servant', they went out of the window more than half a century ago.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

I wasn't talking about "Dear Ms. Doe". I was talking precisely about obedient servants availing themselves of the opportunity and the like.

The important point is that the equivalents of such euphuism survive in many languages to this day.

It does no harm to remind learners of English that "Dear Mary" even in the first letter today reads more naturally than "My dear Madam" and "I remain ever yours faithfully". At least over here.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

It does no harm to remind learners of English that "Dear Mary" even in the first letter today reads more naturally than "My dear Madam" and "I remain ever yours faithfully". At least over here.
If any used such outdated phraseology, I would point out that it was unsuitable. I would also point out that it is safer in the first letter or email to use 'Dear Ms Doe' than 'Dear Mary'.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

If I get a letter from someone I don't know who addresses me as 'Bob' I'm inclined to consign it to the bin. ;-) (I'm gradually getting the better of this tendency; I understand it's not widely applauded.)

b

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I have no hesitation in recommending that you can't go wrong with 'Dear Madam' if you are writing to a woman whose surname you don't know.

Women are accustomed to being thus addressed and it's better to be thought of as polite rather than over-familiar.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

If I get a letter from someone I don't know who addresses me as 'Bob' I'm inclined to consign it to the bin. ;-) (I'm gradually getting the better of this tendency; I understand it's not widely applauded.)
I have the same reaction when someone writes to me as 'Jon'. That may be the name on my birth certificate, but, apart from my mother and sister, nobody I know uses that name for me. So, I know that anyone who calls me 'Jon' is not a friend, but is assuming the familiarity of a friend. I want nothing to do with such people.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

My father's first name was Robert, but he went by his middle name. So people calling and asking for "Bob" were obviously just annoying salespeople.

Status
Not open for further replies.