Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear Sir/Mam,
I would like to know some tips for ARGUEMENTATIVE essay and DISSCURSIVE essay as these two topic are currently going on in my school. So could you give me any links of these sample essays and who to write on these topics of essays which will impress the examiner
Thanking you.
Smritikhetan
India
Sorry for any typing errors

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Try posting an example of your writing so that people can look at it and comment.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi mounikhetan,

If you're looking for topics, it's probably a good idea to start by really solidifying the difference between the two types of essays. I hadn't thought of the difference in quite some time so I looked it up myself to be sure. There is a nice ehow post that breaks it down pretty succinctly: The Difference Between Discursive & Argumentative Essays | eHow.com

The main difference is that in an argumentative essay you make a strong, persuasive case for one side of a debate. In a discursive essay, you provide a more balanced approach (usually you would still slightly favor one side or make a conclusion but it is a more objective, balanced discussion).

Here is one idea for a topic: Dogs are better than cats.

In the argumentative essay you might start your intro with a few reasons why dogs are better than cats, then provide a paragraph each to expand on those few points, and then conclude. You still don't want to be biased, but you would be making a strong argument here.

In a discursive essay, you might highlight a few benefits and downsides to both dogs and cats. You might also highlight that it depends on personal preference (for some people, a dog who likes affection is a good thing, but maybe for others they want a cat, who might or might not be a bit more independent). I'm just throwing a few ideas off the top of my head here for an example of course.

If you want something a bit more serious, pick a current political or economic issue from your country. Maybe a bill that is about to be passed. Or maybe a famous person made a comment on TV recently that received a lot of reaction, both for and against. You can really pick just about anything that people might argue about. :)

Hope that helps and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.