Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi all, please let me know if there are more natural expressions for the paragraphs below.

H is a Hong Konger working in an international company in Hong Kong. S has just joined the company from Spain. One day H and S met in the pantry of the office and H struck up a conversation with S.

H: How's work?
S: So far so good.

H: Is this the first time you have been to Hong Kong?
S: Yes.

H: How long have you been in Hong Kong?
S: Around one month.

H: How do you like it here?
S: Good. It is a lovely city. I think it is like Barcelona without the antique buildings. (S is actually thinking: I don't really like this city. Everywhere is so crowded. The air quality is not good.)

H: It's great that you enjoyed your life here. What did you do during the last week end?
S: I took a short trip to Guangzhou, China.

H: Was that the first time you had been to Guangzhou?
S: Yes, actually this is the first time I have been to Asia.

[To be continued]

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi all, please let me know if there are more natural expressions for the paragraphs below.

H is a Hong Konger working in an international company in Hong Kong. S has just joined the company from Spain. One day H and S met in the pantry of the office and H struck up a conversation with S.

H: How's work?
S: So far so good.

H: Is this the first time you have been to Hong Kong? (Your text is correct, but is a bit formal. I would say, "Is this the first time you've been in Hong Kong?", or, "Is this the first time you've been here?"
S: Yes.

H: How long have you been in Hong Kong?
S: Around one month. ("Around a month", or, "about a month".)

H: How do you like it here?
S: Good. It is (it's) a lovely city. I think it is (it's) like Barcelona without the antique buildings. (S is actually thinking: I don't really like this city. Everywhere is so crowded. The air quality is not good.)

H: It's great that you enjoyed ("Enjoyed" is in the past tense, use "enjoy") your life here. What did you do during the last week end? (It would be more natural to say, "What did you do last weekend?")
S: I took a short trip to Guangzhou, China. (Why did you add "China"? Is there another Guangzhou that is not in China? This is like saying, "I took a short trip to New York City, the United States of America.")

H: Was that the first time you had been to Guangzhou?
S: Yes, actually this is the first time I have been to Asia.

[To be continued]
Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.