Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi,

When a person dies (e.g. in Russia) a special funeral service takes place before the person is buried. Normally this service is performed in church where the person's relatives are present and he is absolved of all the sins he has committed in his life time. Below there is a short extract about this.

"Alexander Pushkin died in St.Petersburg after a duel and the funeral service was performed on him in the small church not far from the house where he passed away".

I have two questions here. Is "funeral service" a correct expression to speak about a special service for the dead? Are the verb and the preposition (perform on) fine?

Thanks

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that would be "last rights."

The "funeral" is when people talk about the deceased, there are usually prayers, etc. It depends on your religion, of course. A full funeral mass would be quite different than a service for an aethist.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or, could it be "last rites"?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How embarrassing. Yes, of course the word is "rites." I'm sorry if my silly error caused confusion.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks for your replies.

I know "last rites", but it seems to me that last rites take place when a person is still alive and is on his deathbed. However I was speaking about the ceremony performed in church when the person has already died and is lying in the open coffin. Is the ceremony still called "last rites"?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are correct that "last rites" (or "extreme unction" in the Catholic terminology) is when the person is still alive.

They would hold a funeral mass or funeral service for the deceased.

I would not say that a funeral service as performed "on" him. "For" him would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.