Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I need your advice. There's obviously been confusion when our teacher told us that it was wrong to use the adjective "technical" in tems of college or university and that it needed to be "technological college or university". I've been searching for answers on the Internet and either seems to be used. "Delhi Technological University","Colorado Technical University" etc. Would there be a difference?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I need your advice. There's obviously been confusion when our teacher told us that it was wrong to use the adjective "technical" in tems of college or university and that it needed to be "technological college or university". I've been searching for answers on the Internet and either seems to be used. "Delhi Technological University","Colorado Technical University" etc. Would there be a difference?

The terms I am familiar with are "technical college" and "college of technology". So, in my experience, your teacher is mistaken.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:

The two are used, possibly because they mean different things (;-)). However, there are people who feel that extra syllables are in themselves a good thing. Their usage muddies the waters.

b

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What's the difference in meaning between "Michigan Technological University" and "Colorado Technical University"?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
What's the difference in meaning between "Michigan Technological University" and "Colorado Technical University"?

I agree with Bhaisahab. I see no difference.

Have you Googled them? Michigan Technological University (Michigan Tech) is a public, state university and seems to offer a wider range of courses. Colorado Technical is a private, for profit university. I doubt that these descriptions account for the difference in names.

Status
Not open for further replies.