XYZ company has the products you've been looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimistic pessimist

Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear all,

Please look at the following advertisement.

"Is your construction company trying to expand? Do you find it hard to compete with other businesses because your equipment is old and inefficient? Then XYZ company has the products you've been looking for. We've designed a sleek..."

Is it wrong if the sentence in bold is "Then XYZ company has the products you're looking for"?

It seems to me both can be fine...

THank you!

OP

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"You've been looking for" reads better to me. You could use it either way.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Interesting. I would say that "You're looking for" sounds better. The rest of the piece is in the present tense - "Are you trying to expand?", "Do you find it difficult to compete?" etc, so I think continuing with the present tense sounds more natural. I would have put "the products you've been looking for" with "Have you been trying to expand?", "Have you had difficulty competing?"

As SoothingDave said though, you can use either one.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,

Maybe it's just me, but I read "you've been looking for" as the end of a long (and unfruitful so far) search for new machines. To me, "you're looking for" sort of reads as a much shorter period of time trying to find something, at least in this particular case. But then I may be completely wrong... or not; it's marketing at work here, after all! ;-)

charliedeut

Status
Not open for further replies.