Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
(sorce: Iceberg Slim – Pimp, The story of my life)

Now I am interested in the meaning of a complete sentence. I understand every single word in it but I still cannot decode the whole sentence.

It reads:

”I had told the runt to check her scratch past fourty slats into the toe of my tan Stetsons.”

Background:

Slim lets her girl (’the runt’) out to the street to work as a prostitute. Previously he told her some basic rules and instructions about how she must handle the money she earns.

So what does the aforementioned sentence mean?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(sorce: Iceberg Slim – Pimp, The story of my life)

Now I am interested in the meaning of a complete sentence. I understand every single word in it but I still cannot decode the whole sentence.

It reads:

I had told the runt to check her scratch past fourty slats into the toe of my tan Stetsons.”
I told the small person (runt) to check (to put) her scratch (money) (could this be forty?) any amount more than forty dollars into my tan (a color) boot (a Stetson is a western style boot worn by cowboys and those who like to pretend that they are cowboys).

I told the young girl to leave any amount she made over forty dollars into the innermost part of my boot.

Background:

Slim lets her girl (’the runt’) out to the street to work as a prostitute. Previously he told her some basic rules and instructions about how she must handle the money she earns.

So what does the aforementioned sentence mean?
Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.